Yo business peeps...

Lets say that hypothetically :eyebrow: I am updating my resume to target a specific job posting at a local business. Although I do have several contact names in HR, I am first going to submit my resume the preferred method: via the email link on the website.

So how to I address my cover letter? Dear Company XXX… Dear Company XXX HR… Dear Engineering Employer… Dear Human Resources Department at XXX… ???

I’ve always used Dear Sir or Madam:

unless there was a specific person to send it. Then its Mr. or Ms. _______

I’ve always used : To Whom It May Concern:

When I was internship hunting and in UB’s ECI, I was taught and did use Dear Engineering Student Employer. I guess the salutation doesn’t really matter as long as it’s professional and respectful. It’s every line thereafter that’s going to make their head spin anyhow. :pimp: :slight_smile:

yup

same here

According to the other thread, you wear a suit to work. Therefore you are the most credible and I will take your advice.

:stuck_out_tongue: Gotta pick somehow…

You don’t know what I wear to work :frowning:

I’ll check with HR tomorrow

:word: yeah, i’d def go with that for the situation you’re describing, right down to the colon

…but it always comes down to the colon, for me

ATMFTW

BikerFry, i hope our efforts helped you out

put a color pic of the walk-through intestines in your portfolio and you’re so in.

If you know people in HR your best bet is to address it to them, or ask them who to address it to and send it direct. Never take the general path when a direct path is all but highlighted.

When i applied for my last job, it was with a company that my dad has a plethora of contacts, I asked him who to address it to, and i was hired about 1 month later (after several tedious interviews, company policy :mad:) But anyway, had i just submitted it like any other joe, it could have just been stuck in a file cabinet. Instead it got read by the hiring managers boss, and he was the one who eventualy gave me the job. Some people are even sneaky enough to send a resume in a unmarked envelope direct to a department head or VP, and have a damn god cover letter that grabs their attention long enough that they forget you skirted the normal avenues.

Haha I’m sure you look fabulous. If have a spare second to check with HR I would be forever in your debt. I’d check at my company but we don’t have an HR department. Fuck, we don’t even have an accountant…

I took a career portfolio class when I was going for my Associate degree (I’m finishing up my Bachelor’s right now, done in October, yes!). The class was very good, it covered how to write a resume, cover letter and put together an entire career portfolio and demonstrated how to handle yourself in an interview. The teacher was mad cool and now he’s the dean of the school. He always said to use “Dear Sir or Madam” over “To Whom It May Concern.” +1 for JaysGreenLX on the good call.

Done. Went with Dear Sir or Madam. Lets see if my resume skills are good enough to get them to take the bait and call me in for an interview… Time to start preparing… Well, after work…

I usually go with “to whom it may concern”
Direct names are best, so if theres a way to get the name, do it.

sometimes I might say dear business names represntitive.

kinda depends.

UB had a business prep class similar to what BAD99TA was talking about. They always told me Dear Sir or Madam:.

Good luck BikerFry.

Thanks all. :tup: I’ll post up if/when results come back to me.

Quote from HR :

“to whom it may concern” works well, if you know someone’s name just use that.

Sir or madam is ok.