G/f havin employer troubles v. Letter of recommendation.

So my g/f is having an interesting battle with her current employer. I won’t name the place as of yet, hoping that this will get resolved, but wanted to see what kind of shit they are pulling.

She has been working there for a little less than a year, and is spoken highly of by her supervisors and peers alike. Has only missed one day of work, only been late once, and is constantly stepping up and taking on extra hours when needed. So, her integrity certainly is not what should go into question here.

However, she recently requested a letter of recommendation to submit with grad school applications (a requirement at most, if no all schools) and was denied claiming that the policies of the company don’t allow it. WTF is that? She even called HR and was told the same thing.

Now, I completely understand any companies Conflict of interest policies with other companies, which is fine, but a grad school is not competition by any means.

I read through the employee handbook that was given to her when she was hired, and of course, found nothing about letters of recommendations to schools, or even other employers. Not only that, but in the last pages of this handbook it states, “We support you in your educational goals.”

What can be done here? I’ve held back from calling myself so not to complicate things. I also wanted to approach my school, and my g/f’s graduating school to have this place taken off the job sites set up by each school because seriously, who would want to deal with this?

Any advice? These people are really fucking stubborn btw.

Just fake some shit. LOL.

idk, sounds like a bummer, but there’s not a lot she can do really. It’s not like you can threaten someone into speaking highly of you. :frowning:

have her talk one on one with the president or CEO? I’m sure they’d deff be able to pull some strings for her. HR is probably enforcing a rule that they don’t totally understand

That’s the thing, it’s not a matter of convincing these people to think highly of her. They already do but claim it’s against policy to put it in writing. So now she is placed in the particularly awkward position of trying to make this happen, without discrediting herself within the company.

I’m about to call them pretending to be someone really important in the relating field at UB. lol

not surprising at all… most companies won’t give any recommendations aside from confirming employment. It is way too easy to get sued for shit. Typically it is going to other companies, not for this specific purpose though. Say they give an employee a glowing review and they end up going homicidal and shooting up the place, the new company can come back and sue the previous person/company for giving her a positive review.

retarded? yes.

the united states of america? yep.

That’s exactly what I think. I’ll tell her to go as high as she can before anything else though. Good call.

Yeah i know that, see: Graduate school. v. not employer. :slight_smile:

Def a good call. She’ll probably be a lot more relaxed too. But what if they do a random drug test?

haha what? No biggie.

edit - haha. I’m an idiot.

wow… wasss NOT up

I’m tired. :frowning:

I bet She/you could have the school call and ask to speak to someone, It doesn’t sound like they’re sticking to their “we support your educational Goals” policy very well. Id get the schools Opinion on the matter, Im sure they’ve seen it before.

What if she went to the grad department and spoke to someone about this?? I’m sure it’s not the first time it has happened.

While they may want a letter, maybe a phone call to the right person at her job would suffice??

Edit: Ian beat me to it.

you wont win this with the company… I would have her ask her supervisor, if they are on good terms, to write a personal recommendation (not on behalf of the company)

that way she will still get the recommendation that will show her good character - just not on company letterhead.

For the applications, they need to be filled out with a form stating the company she worked for and so forth. The letter of rec, HAS to come from an employer.

In the end. you have 2 options.

1. the company will not change the rules for your gf… sorry but thats relaity. I would do what I said earlier and have the supervisor mention that he managed you gf bla bla bla.

2. apply to another school.

Keep in mind that colleges make exceptions all the time. Your GF applying to grad school = more $$ for the college. have her call admissions. they need applicants… unless its ub, then your up a creek cus they get a 1000000 applicants a year.

1. It’s not in their rules. That’s the awkward part of this.

2. All graduate schools require it. She is getting a letter of rec from her past employer, but this job applies to her field and will significantly help her chances of getting in to said schools. THATS why she took the job in the first place.

And most grad schools aren’t exactly hurting for applicants.

i’m just saying they are probably going by the same policy…

im just trying to be a voice of reason here. do you really think you or your gf can convince them to write one? seek another viable solution… like the one I mentioned.

I think I can actually. I love taking on shit like this to prove a point. The “policy” they speak of is not displayed in the contract signed by their employees, nor is it in their employee handbook. I see no reason that they should deny employees such a simple request for the sake of EDUCATION.