gamers...

thinking about buying a PS3, but i am not really up on things. is there a specific version i want? or is there an upcoming price drop or package deal i should wait for? just hate buying stuff like this and then a day later something better comes out.

thanks

Wait till black friday, or around then, or get used, would be my advice. If buying used, avoid the 40gb model. That being said, mine has been fine for over two years, but they seem to be problematic of the group. 60gb can do Ps2 games also, and 80gb can do some of them, but its emulated as compared to having the ps2 hardware, but they are usually outrageously priced, and can be problematic as they are older.

appreciated

I think I have the 80 gig one I think. Bought it used from game stop a little over a year ago. Never had any problems with it.

I have the 60GB with Hardware PS2 decoding. Unless you plan to buy used machine, you don’t really have a lot of choices.

anything wrong with the new ones? anyone running linux?

I didnt mean to say 40,60 or 80 are necessarily bad, as long as they have been cleaned and cared for. You cant run Linux, as far as I know anymore because of one of the more recent updates.

oh really? thats pretty weak.

Inbeforethreadbecomessrsargumentaboutxboxbeingbetterthanps3

ive got a first gen one. the bigger kind. love it.

Another tidbit to consider when buying a ps3; If you can get a 40, 60, 80gb for cheap, but are concerned about filling it up, they can use ANY 2.5" 5400rpm laptop hard drive. I would love to get my hands on a 60, just for the ps2 compatibility, but I still have a ps2, so its a moot point really, lol.

Yes, they suck hence the cheaper price. The internal parts on the newer “slim” ps3’s blow cock, sony thought throwing a larger hard drive in would compensate for the internal parts and lack of style that the new ones have. This is why the older piano finish ps3’s were $600 instead of $300… Same thing happened with the ps2’s, at first they had the large ps2’s WITH a hard drive, then they got cheap on us, came out with the ps2 “slim” which does NOT have a hard drive… Go for an older piano finish ps3, preferably one with 4 usb ports on the front meaning that its backwards compatible (plays both ps2 and ps3 games)

My friend has two old ones and 1 new one, pm me if you want his number, ive got like 50 games ive been saving up for no reason too if you wanna buy them lol.

same thing when they went with the slim ps2… they all sucked and had half the accessories the larger one did. was just junk overall. id go with an older ps3 if i were you. my cousin just got one and he hasn’t had any problems.