garage floor epoxy

Anyone ever do this? I’ve got some industrial 2 part concrete floor epoxy from my brother-in-law and I’m finally getting around to putting it down. How “clean” do the floors have to be? Some of the old oil stains aren’t coming up and I don’t feel like doing the acid etch thing if I don’t have to. I’m not looking for a professional looking job, but I don’t want it peeling up after 6 months either.

it has to be super clean like REALLY clean

they work by soaking into the concrete that wont happen if a stain prevents it from doing so…

the good stuff actually goes on with wet concrete so the water draws the epoxy into the pores

oh, yea if you dont, it WILL peel up quickly too

Don’t be lazy. You’ll be sorry. Get it clean.

Seriously man, clean it right. I used etching acid between regular hose out and soap washes. It took me a good 6 hours to prep my floor, but then again my garage is 4 bays. I then epoxy’ed and it looks great.

Sterm -

You gotta clean it WELL. I helped a friend do his and he gave up about 85-90% through cleaning oil spots up, and yeah, a year or less later it was peeling there.

I just did the inside of my trailer - epoxy acrylic / enamel on the walls (white) and the 2-part garage floor stuff on the wood floor. Sure it’s “meant” for concrete but I just used twice as much (was REALLY thirsty on the first coat, of course) and here’s another suggestion - BUY THE NON-SKID ADDITIVE - its like a bag of powder, Lowes in Henrietta had it last I looked. The flakes look nice but the powder actually does 100x more.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4612&stc=1&d=1214023317

(yes I need a board to bridge the gap from the flap to the beavertail so I don’t continue to do mad-siqq burnouts to get over the hump haha)

if you’re in buffalo PM and I’ll come take a look at it. I do this shit for a living and can show you the steps and if you need products I can sell you them. What type of epoxy is it? What’s on the garage floor now? Is it peeling?

^^
That wood floor…don’t be surprised if it peels quickly, wood flexes and epoxy does not.

Got some professional concrete cleaning solution and did it right. Took 4 hours to clean 2 of my 3 spaces. Sealed it this morning and I’ll epoxy tomorrow!

fyi cleaning doesnt equal etching. etching removes a thin layer of concrete in order to create a rough porous surface for the epoxy to grab. and what sealer did you use? not many epoxies require a sealer… if you dont do this correctly a failed floor is an absolute nightmare. pm me the product.

Yea most epoxy needs to bond straight to the concrete. I know that we don’t sell anything that you seal first. What was the product you used?

The product is Keelock by Keeler & Long. The sealer we used is actually labeled as sealer/primer on the can (cans actually, it’s a two part). The instructions on the cans call for sealer/primer then epoxy. This also came with a cleaner that is sprayed on to any and all stains or deposits on the concrete. Then wipep/washed off. I don’t believe it’s an acid because it’s labeled as a “safer” product.

just so you’re aware they dont make a garage floor epoxy. r u sure its not for metal?

It’s not labeled as garage floor epoxy. My brother in law used it at Niagara Mohawk Nuclear Power Plant in the warehouse on the concrete floors. He also used it in his garage and it seems to be holding up so far. His floor was a little more recent than mine and didn’t have the level of oil stains.

the only concern is that it may not be resilient to salt. Most industrial floor coatins will withstand forklift traffic as well as most solvents, salt is a different animal tho.

What cleaner should be used to remove oil stains on concrete ? Should I use a pressure washer also ?

oil and grease emulsifier…has to be an emulsifier. pressure washer isn’t necessary, won’t hurt but you can do it fine with a strong stream from a hose. I know you asked about just cleaning but I can’t stress it enough, cleaning is not a substitute for acid etching.

When you mention using acid etching, you are talking about prepping the concrete for a floor coating correct ? I just want to clean the concrete in my garage. Can I get away with just an emulsifier ? What brand and where should I pick up ?

yeah, acid etch is for prepping. emulsifiers can be had just about anywhere, where you located?

Phoenix, AZ

oh lol. look up your local benjamin moore retailer, there is a product called oil and grease emulsifer. it comes in a plastic gallon, the product code is like m83 or something, but that’s one of the better ones on the market. if you’re closer to a sherwin williams store maybe b5a4 can tell you what they have. just don’t get some cheap shit from valu, you’ll be much happier.