Gas consumption - Help

Alright so heres the problem, I usually get roughly 350-400km to a tank city driving, not great but I could deal with it. I went and filled up on sunday, full tank of premium, my regular gas. Since then I have driven just over 90km and am almost at the 1/2 mark. I probably wont hit 200km to this tank.

It has a new 02 sensor, plugs and wires. I had it hooked up to a OBD scanner, no codes and the coolant sensor and 02 sensor is functioning properly. It runs rich on idle and sometimes goes lean when I rev it up, not consistenly. It seems to run fine except for the idle dipping when clutch is depressed or coming to a stop, which it has been doing before this problem. I checked for vacuum leaks, and there dosnt seem to be any, if there is their very minor. I’m pretty sure theres no leaks, as I cant smell or see anything.

If anyone has any ideas I’m all ears, any suggestions, anything.

Thanks

-Trevor

I’d drive it to near empty and see how much mileage you actually get to see if the gauge is getting flaky on ya…also ensure the cluster numbers are always moving as i’ve heard of some sticking, especially in the winter.

Winter & warming up can play a role too…but not really as much as you describe…

Maybe a quick check for fuel leaks or gas smell and if that checks out see if the bad mileage remains consistent…? :dunno:

Good luck.

company of gas may play a roll
i get around 300-400 km a tank in my miata when filled up with sunoco 91-94 octane

when i go to shell i get around 550 -600

^ i call bs ;]

30%-40% increase in mileage based on a different companies gas alone on a stock 4cyl… just sounds a bit too drastic to me.

i could see a +/- of maybe 2-3% being a realistic possibility.

It’s now on just past the half way mark and the km are somewhere around 100. When I’m out next time I’ll check the numbers, but im pretty positive its accurate. I cant smell any sort of leaks and have found nothing under the car.

Same gas as usual, shell premium 91 octane.

S1495 suggested my MAF was bad, does anybody know if theres a way to test it, or should I just grab another one, replace and see if it makes a difference?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Wow! 100km’s using half a tank! Bad!

Does it drive differently at all lately, or is the fuel needle up & down at all when driving etc?

Maybe you could try filling it up again (make sure full) and seeing if the next half tank takes the same amount…and if it does and the gauge proves accurate then you could start looking into everything else!

You could always just swap another MAF as a quick test, but doing the above may help tell you if the gauge lies or if you’ve actually got something going on worth further diagnosing…

Well those first 100km were strictly city km, I went 35ish km on the highway and the gas seemed to decrease at more of a normal rate.

It dosnt seem the drive differently at all and the needle is accurate, no fluxuation. I’m going to keep driving and see where im at when it gets close to empty, in the mean time I’ll go grab another MAF, and clean out the IACV.

It seems since the milage was better on the highway, its the stop and go and idleing thats killing the gas. I’ll change the maf and see what happens.

Thanks John.

Check the Air filter , Take out the MAF clean it with brake fluid .
Seafoam the engine. My KA ran smoother once i used seafoam.

Also check the timing.