GB: expanding reinforcement foam

this is a proper two part ureathane it needs to be mixed then poured/injected into the cavity somehow. I’ve got a guy right now looking at getting some very large equine needles to use plus I’m trying to source a few options for my and others to use.

The usual manner for laying this stuff in is to have a cavity that is watertight, or close to it and you pour from the topmost area, let gravity and the expansion of the foam do the rest, if the area is really strong than you can cap the area and get a very very strong surface coating builtup but for the areas we are talking about I would suggest the open port at the top for spill over pressure.

Edited for spelling by El

Found a Canadian supplier that actually had higher then 6lb. In stock they have 6lb and 10lb, not offered before and I can get the 8/16lb variants as well. The 10lb may be the way to go for:

Cost comparison: 8lb with ~ shipping and brokerage… $48.11cad /lb *

(CND supplier) 10lb $47.85cad /lb *

12lb                                                 $51.13cad/lb  *
  • based on ~10cu/ft of expanded product

As the weight increases on shipping the cost/lb goes up from the US, I thought it would be wise to get the FULL monty so to speak, up on the table before everyone got too excited baout the great pricing… UPS is a freakin’ killer.

Delivery system has been found, blank caulking tubes ($1.90/ea)

Edited by El for spelling and shizzle be my secretary all you want , but you change the verbage or meaning of anything and you get a shot in the head…

So how much is actually needed? You said 6-8 cu-ft for just the rails by TM’s estimate and 4-5 by yours. What else would one want to do? I’m going with the lowest density on your list (8lb) since I was told that I don’t need to go high on this for a car that will only see occasional track duty.(I would go with 4 or 6, if it is available) I just want to get an estimate on how much I need so I know how to budget my money. Being a n00b and all, I don’t know which specific areas of the car require stiffening, and would appreciate if someone told me how much I will need to get a significant improvement without going overboard. I would also like to do this in a balanced manner, as I am aware that strengthening one part will put more stress on another, un-strengthened part.
To summarize, I want to know how much of this stuff will I need to get the job done RIGHT so that I can plan my money ahead of time.

I think we need to do a basic volume measurement on the rocker of the 240… that would be the best place to start… a cubic foot is allot of space to fill for the FC i don’t see anymore then 4-5 cu/ft been needed the rocker of the 240 is longer but it may not be as deep volume wise as the FC… that’s something I haven’t found yet… TM may have a clue as to the actual volume, so best to ask him…

my Canadian supplier has the 6lb in stock… you can use that safely and save yourself some money. the difference beteen 6-8 for street / light track is going to be minimal

6 cu ft should be adequate for most applications…

Unless you plan on doing more then the rockers, and frames…

Expanding Foam Pricing:

6lb/cu/ft density foam:

• 4 cu/ft - $146 CDN
  • 6 cu/ft - $221 CDN

10lb/cu/ft density foam:

• 4 cu/ft - $210 CDN
  • 6 cu/ft - $315 CDN

Tax Included.
These values DO NOT include shipping.

Information:

To get an idea of desities, the SCC 300zx project use 2lb/cu/ft foam and increased chassis rigidity upwards of %40 over stock.

Do the math. Thats roughly 120% increase with 6lb/cu/ft foam.

Also when it states that 6lb per cubic ft, it actually adds 6 pounds for every cubic foot you add. Thus 6lbs x 6cu/ft is 36lbs. With 6 cubic feet of 10lb thats a little more then adding a cage. Keept this in mind.

My recommendation is to stick with the 6lb density foam unless you are building a track car. It’s cheaper and has noticable effect.

Shipping:

Shipping will be based on where you are located. The product will be shipped in 1 gallon paint cans most likely. You can also pick up.

It’s a good deal for what you get…