Gearhead's 1986 Isuzu Trooper II Turbo Diesel - pics-a-plenty

This is my 86 turbo diesel trooper. Its a southern car, very rust free and now becoming my ZJ replacement since I havent had anything to offroad since!

The plans are to SAS (single axle swap) the front IFS out and put a waggy front dana 44 in and swap the outers to 8 lug 1tons. The back will be a width matching 1 ton dana 60 from an old ford. Custom leafs and stearing for the front and custom leafs for the back. Locking both front and back and at least a 5.13 gear.

Also doing a doubler, which is adding a 2nd transfer case giving you 2 low ranges to combine for greater crawl ratio.

Taking the stock garrett t25 off (same turbo as a boosted sunbird) and probably going custom manifold and t3/t4 50 trim.

Let the journey till now begin:

bringing her home

turbo comes off

next to a schnizer (t4 sized cover)

approx. t3/t4 location

let it begin

new rubbas

before

after

the rear sitting on the stock leafs (which will be gone, but probably retain the same height

So, thats where im at now. I’ll be tracking down the leaf springs I think I’ll need to use to get the ride height and wheelbase I desire. After the rear is set then I’ll go to the front, finish cleaning the frame horns up, mock leaf mounts which will probably have to be outboarded, and steering.

Accomplishing that all will be a big step. After that I’ll do the tcase doubler and the turbo manifold. Hopefully JTECH doesn’t go bankrupt and I can keep progress going on it.

Looks bad ass bud. Good stuff.

i have a ford front 60 here if you need one still have the old rear that i bought off you a long time ago. will make you a good deal lol
looking good never see too many troopers turned into rigs. should be badass

haha wow.

You fabbing the doubler or just buying one?

Sweet…Looking good so far:cool:

looks mean with the big knobbies on there. keep us updated

thanks yins…

I am fabbing the entire doubler setup myself.

nice, looks bad ass with the wheels

sick project

Picking up H1 hummer beadlocks tomorrow

woopitywoot!

Some guy on CL has military ones for sale for 100 bucks man, check them out.

I dig this project. It’s different. I like different.

thanks!

those h1’s on craigslist are the ones I got! guy was real cool… was putting a 500ci caddy motor in a wrangler.

I never even thought about doing up a trooper. I am planning on a sidekick or tracker project and Building a 4 link and swaping out the IFS for 44’s , cool keep us posted

looks good

you are starting to look more and more like a butler local lol

Looks sick, alot of work…

i’m going to blend in just fine with the butlerites!!

H1 8bolt beadlocks are here. Now just have to order up some plastic inserts.

Also figured i would try and mock up this front mount intercooler i had just for the heck of it. Its a big one, but turned out to fit amazingly good!

Dear Gearhead,

Your nuts. Awesome work.

kthnxbye.

:rofl:

now all i have to do is place the turbo, make the header and figure out how to run the IC pipes! :nuts: