General NYS inspection and OBD2 question

Doesn’t hurt to just try. Worst comes to worst, they deny you and you fail. It’s a $21 answer.

False. I can change it to ANY VIN with EFI live, not just GM. That restriction is limited to HP tuners as it’s a crippled product.

And it ain’t gonna pass , I have gone thru this with a ls1 in a diff non gm vehicle . Just cause u can change vin don’t mean it has the calibrated numbers as well .

This is my idea I’ve been thinking of for a while now. My megasquirt has one actually to test the computer with…

http://www.jbperf.com/JimStim/assembled_board_v1_0_small.JPG

It simulates an engine.

So what if we made one and connected it to a stock ecu and “ran” it. You would be able to program it to mimmick real world conditions and stuff. then just plug the ecu into the obd2 scanner and it should pass, right?

Talk to hennesy I heard he did one before . Not sure of outcome . Seeing as I have no idea on what I’m talkin about

NYS cracking down.

Funs over

Basically but people think they can still win over lol . There software knows . I just did a lightning and it would not go thru do to the tune being off . No c.e.l or anything as far as we xcould tell its legit but now we have to wait for d.m.v to come reset our comp as it put us on suspension for it

The people can always beat the system john

Yes and no lol

I think the system is much less intelligent than you give it credit for. My car would never pass if it was that smart as its a custom non GM OS with non GM calibration numbers. This is actually the first year it even had the correct VIN programmed. I also know of many cars passing with obd2 simulators and LSx swaps that pass NYS emissions. The problem I heard was people setting readiness tests to N/A which red flags it when they compare readiness monitors to same make/model previously scanned in their system. That’s the wrong way to do it, the monitors need to be in place but set to never fail.

Is it a stock computer ? If so the calibration numbers are there . It’s suttin u can’t change on any tuner . Just cause gm uses a wide range of numbers in all there pcm,s is why it passes not cause u tricked suttin .

Ya know what Fuck it , try it and when ya fail don’t ask . Everyone is a tech and inspector so u all get all the info . I’m just a retard that don’t know what is goin on that everyone ask,s for inspection from .

:rofl

What would you know about any of this, seriously.

Seeing as we get schooled all the time on inspections . Seeing what goes thru and what don’t and why . Worrkin with coppola on shit and him explining shit etc etc . But like I said I don’t have any experiance with it and everyone says it will go . So I must be fuckin dumb , go buy it and see how ya make out

Not sure why people are arguing with slowmarro over this.

I’m not saying I’m 100% right on all of it . Butt everyone else knows more than me so I’m the idiot

You can put the drivetrain in the car and as long as all the GM stuff is there it would run through the machine, but DMV will red flag the inspection. Then they would want to look at your car and probably have a shit fit. You might be alright since a 97 is pre VIN recognition for DMV. Either way the state gets pissy when you do stuff like that.

The problem would not be with the chassis year, it would be with what your scanning. When your entered in as a 97 and DMV noticed that computer being scanned is that of a car/ecu with Vin recognition red flags go up.

At that point its not a visual/sneaky paper playing game like it is with a pre 96 car when being plugged in is not the problem, just knowing someone that will overlook the fact that the completely wrong motor is in the car :rofl

WHen your dealing with scanning the computer, and the chassis is completely differant then what the computers reading from the ECU it throws a shit fit

Something like that… im sure you can get the gist

The thing is that pre 96 is a visual emissions inspect only. It just has to be there. No testing. Cali and Colorado do tail pipe tests. Car doesn’t get plugged into anything. They run it on a dyno with a sniffer hooked up. The vehicle in question is a crap shoot whether it will pass or not or how long it may pass for before the DMV pulls the plug.
These swaps pass emissions in Cali only with appropriate cats, EGR, PCV, ect. And only when some one is slipped a few bucks to keep the hood closed. That’s why you see more of this out west then you see big turbo cars with huge cams and questionable tuning. In a way they still win. Clean air act is doing what it set out to do.

thats why everybody throws theses swaps into obd1 cars. lol. obd2 sucks asssssss