General NYS inspection and OBD2 question

I have emissions equipment such as EGR and pre catalyst air pump removed from my car but with the E85 it would be useless anyway. The car would probably pass the sniffer test easier now then it did in 98 with the emissions equipment in tact.

This ^

…and guys, dont argue with bonemarrow aboout the inspection questions. he knows his shit and is telling you straight up what will happen and the things that have to be done. he knows what he is talking about

My next toy will have come from the factory with a 4 barrel and not EFI.

Bromarrow knows what has changed over the years. DMV is always doing updates to directly inconveince the auto enthusiast community. I personally have not done a NYSI in 7 years now.

I might swing by tomorrow for one of these inspections.

The g.p got one man

Yep :lol

Calibration numbers come from the operating system which is 100% software related. I think what you’re talking about is the PCM/VCM ID# which cannot be changed normally (actually, some people CAN clone GM PCM/VCM ID’s). People swap PCM’s all the time on OBDII Hondas (96-00 typically) and pass inspection no problem because the ECU’s are semi retarded and report very little (there wasn’t actually much required by OBDII as a standard at all).

I know of more than 1 LSx swapped OBDII car in NYS that passes inspection with the GM PCM, I’m just saying. I also know of a few Neons that pass using a standalone OBDII simulator… I’m just saying that it’s not as cut and dry as you’re making it out to be.

Your right I’m wrong / we will all report to u from now on Mr man

Thats what I just said. It’s like plugging in another car to run one that has a CEL on. The inspection will run and issue a sticker, but not to shortly after you will get a visit from DMV officials and trust me that sucks. Something similar happened to a coworker. There were 2 vehicles lined up to be run through the computer that both would legit pass, he accidentally plugged both in and when the VIN didn’t jive on the second vehicle we got a visit a couple weeks later. Not too sure who else other then myself and Jon on here that are actually licensed inspectors, but trust me I’ve had plenty of first hand experience with these matters.

Further more not to argue with Jon I could be complete wrong, but here goes. As far as I know PCM swapped vehicles on 99 and down vehicles are still passing without issue. IE a friend of mine as a 98 ranger splash originally 4 cyl swapped to a 4.0 6 cyl. ECM is a 99 so again no VIN recognition for NYSI (as far as I know). Therefore I would speculate that you might be able to use a 99-00 LS PCM to control the LS2??? I’m not sure what would work with what, thats a question for J Daniels. The long and short of it is still that it’s technically illegal to chevy V8 swap the car and you would need somebody to do you a favor every year to pass it. Moral of the story being find a clean 96 or older chassis if planning a swap.

Like vehicles aren’t a problem on the older stuff . I’m not arguing that . Butt to stuff a lq9 in a f150 isn’t gonna fly . That’s what I’m saying

To answer the question, Will… you just have to switch the reluctor to a 24x to run an LS2/3 on an LS1a/b PCM.

jdaniels has all of the answers for every question…EVER

might b worth looking into re-registering it to a hotrod / custom
car. this might get you around emissions?!

There is only one way this works and it only works on cars the have open source PCMS. I did this on my Subaru and had “someone” pass it with zero flags.

If the vehicles original PCM is capable of complete open source or has the ability to be chipped and code out the necessary OBD2 codes(misfire, knocks, maf, map, etc), then you retain the original PCM and fool it into thinking the original motor is still in the car by running the stock CAS/CPS off relative crank or cam trigger wheels. This retains full function of the OBD2 port as though the motor is still in the car and working.

You then drop in the transplant and run it off it’s own PCM and harness, completely independent of the main OBD2 system. Can’t say it will work for everything as it’s most certainly application specific.

And meatpaws knows best with this topic. Listen to him.

Not that simple. I’ve been dealing with EPA/DOT BS for the past six years with the kit car business. Fucking hoops galore :cry:

i bet ! go ny! thx for f- ing with us

btw love the avatar!

I think some of you guys are missing the OP… Take a LSx, swap it into a 1997 Nissan 240sx. Obviously a Vin swap isnt enough :lol

Long story short: it will probably work, you might get flagged or you might not. NYS sucks.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/502/egon.jpg

Sums it up for me.