Getting ripped off...

Ok, so here’s the story. I bought front and rear bumpers from a guy in washington state. Part of the deal was, i had to send him my stock bumpers.
With the weather, i wanted him to ship first, and i would reimburse him for shipping costs, and i also had to give him 150$ deposit until he got my bumpers.

So, i paypal’ed 400$ for the bumpers on one day, and 150$ for the deposit once he was ready to ship. Then, he contacted me saying shipping would be around 150$. I’ve never shipped anything this big, and after talking with some people they said that seemed about right, if not a little cheap. so i told him i would send him out a check for the 150 to cover shipping, whatever. Well, some money ended up needing to go elsewhere, and i didnt end up getting to send him the check, and still havent- thank god.

2 weeks later (today), i got the bumpers. Picked them up from the Greyhound station and asked them how much shipping was, they said 56$ plus a 3$ surcharge for gas! i’m pissed, and i get a hold of him, and he says “it’s for shipping and packaging materials”

My question is what would you do. As it stands, he has the 400$ for the bumpers, plus my 150$ “deposit”. If i dont send him his money, i know he’ll keep the 150$.

the other thing, is the forum i bought it off of he is a ‘known guy’ because the car i bought them off of is a well known car in the celica ‘scene’ and has been on HIN and in a few magazines.

I just sent him this:

As i said i will try and put them on tomorrow, but i will not get frostbite to make sure it’s done. As of now i should have a problem, but if it drops to below zero like it’s been, i’m not going to be able to do it.

As for the 150$, according to the greyhound guy, it only cost you 56$ plus a 3$ and some change for a gas surcharge (or something like that) i dont see why i should have to send you almost 100$ for packaging materials when i will use what you sent me for materials back to you when you get the bumpers.

also, i just got this back from him

Say what you want man. I bought 3 packs of that bubble wrap stuff which costs me 25 bucks a pop and then the tape. All i’m saying is that you asked me to send out your bumpers asap. I sent them out with no questions asked the following day when you asked me to even though it was out of my way. I even took time off work to do it. I would really appreciate if you came through with your end of the bargain by one not questioning me on how i spent the $150 when i fronted the money in the beginning to begin with and you agreed to pay. Second would be just to send out the bumpers and mounting hardware ASAP and not when its convinient to you since I went out of the limb for you when you asked. Please let me know when they are sent out. Thanks!

-Mario-

and on this^^, he sent them out over a week after he got the 400$, and a few days after the other 150$, and he told me when he was shipping it because he is parting out his entire car. And he says he needs them asap, but it took the bumpers 14 days to get to me anyway.

i’m not replying him until i get some other opinions on the matter. The deal was 400$ for the bumpers, 150 for the deposit, and i would reimburse for shipping. And as for his materials, i’m using them to ship back to him.

sorry for the odd post, i’m just really pissed right now.

make him pay shipping to sent the stock bumpers.

what gen celica?

7th gen
http://i25.tinypic.com/2n1ar2x.jpg this rear
http://i31.tinypic.com/2cz3g53.jpg This front (these exact parts)

what kind of car do you have? there is no such thing as a celica scene…

They deal is completely spot on and you have ABSOLUTELY no reason to be pissed at this guy. It sounds like you are a bit new at shipping/online parts trade.

“Shipping” does NOT mean what the guy payed UPS or Fedex.
Shipping means what he actually payed, plus his materials, plus whatever he wants to charge for his time. I even add the gas it costs me to drive to the shipper.

Its all a part of doing business and how its done. It sounds like the guy was more then accommodating. You AGREED to the terms (which were fair) You got lucky too because he was smart enough to use Greyhound for bumpers, UPS would have hit you for over $100.

Either way you have no case and no reason to start a problem. Hopefully you did not badmouth the guy on some other forum because then you owe him a apology as well.

agreed. i see you got your package now he is entitled to his. Sure you are sending his items back to him in the stuff he paid for but thats making life easier on YOU. send him his bumpers and give him some good feedback because as stated he did his part.

Spot on right there. I see nothing you have to complain about.

also i know some people make the items seem a little cheaper by lowering the price, then increasing the shipping costs they tell you to make up for it.

shit i know when i sent packages out i usually tell people its like 15-20 for shipping when it usually comes to be around 10…

I’d say you are the issue here, not the seller.

+1

+2

You agreed to the prices, you don’t get to bitch now that you’ve got your stuff and he’s held up his side of the agreement.

Not a good way to start off on NYSpeed noob.

you suck, seller is legit

yea…send him his money…he was the smart one and shipped them greyhound and not UPS or FEDex, i bet they would have been closer to the 120-150 mark for shipping those items…550 for 2 bumpers is still not a bad deal. considering some can run almost 300 for o 1 plus shipping…there is nothing wrong with this at all…ebayers do it all the time…cheap part+expensive shipping = money made

You need to pay because you agreed to it period. Even if the seller was “ripping” you off you agreed to it.

Lets say your selling a car and you price it $1000 above average selling value. Someone offers you what your asking and then gives you a $500 deposit. You agree to take your car to his house and he will give you the rest of the money. So you take off a day from work and spend $10 in gas to get there and back. When you get to the guys house he then tries to offer you less for the car then what you previously agreed to.

Your doing the same thing, stop it.

PS 150 for shipping two bumpers across country is FUCKING CHEAP ANYWAYS

go cry

Loud Noises!

Er, I mean, yeah. +65168

You’re not getting screwed. Finish your end of the deal.

werd… shit, you ever see what some people charge for shipping tickets on ebay? It’s part of the deal… you agreed to the 150.

If I were him, I’d be cussing you out for not paying me yet

you made the deal finish it

:I don’t need to say it, everyone alraedy has.

lol@backfire

lol again @celica