Getting the 1965 Mustang 302 project underway, but need some direction...

Well my wife and I are starting to finally build the mustang we have. It currently has the original 289 2v engine in it and we are changing it to a late model 302 with the roller cam and 1 piece rear main seal. I would ideally like to see 300+whp out of the engine if doable. We are also going to fix any rust and dents and add the dual exhaust rear bumper.

Engine builder:

Talked with Joe at A1 and he seems to be very educated and knows what he is talking about as far as building this 302 he has for us out of a truck with the fuel injection heads on it. Originally I wanted to use the ford fuel injection and tune the engine that way but he says an electric choke carb would be just as efficient and reliable with alot less cost. What would be your opinion? Also, he won’t pull the engine out of the car or put in the new engine, he strictly just machines and builds the engines. That means I have to find the shop that wants to install the engine, build the dual exhaust, and help me get the parts together and installed to get it running perfectly.

Engine and related components installer:

Still trying to find the bestperson around here. Any help would be great to someone who knows fords.

Body and Paint:

Going to be meeting with Robert’s Auto Body to ahve them do this. My wife wants a pearlescent white paint job with possibly some sort of ghost flame job if not too expensive. I was thinking the white off the cadillac escalade wouldnt be bad choice of color. I wasnt sure if the way the stock dual exhausted mustangs rear bumper was a totally seperate piece or if the holes were just cut out of the base bumper for the exhaust. If its a whole new piece then i need to find the new rear bumper for this somewhere reasonable.

Drivetrain:

I have no clue if the parts on the stock 289 mustang will be able to work with the 302 and the new power levels. Any insight on this?

Financial:

We dont ahev the upfont cash to do this whole project so what we wanted to do was get the estimate of costs and take those to the bank to get a personal loan. We will have some of the upfront cash but nowhere near the whole cost. Anyone reccommend a good bank for this?

Thanks for the help!

Can’t wait to see the car! We can mix you ANY color you want! The Escalade pearl is a really nice color. My Supra is painted Lexus Diamond White Pearl and I really like that color also. My friend bought a new Lexus IS250 in pearl white and its probably my favorite pearl white… im not sure if its the same paint code as my Supra tho, it seems to have a tad more blue in it. Either way, we will come up with a color you love!

Goodluck with it. will be nice to see it up and going.

cool, it will be up to my wife what color she likes. maybe one of the other whites you suggested will be more to her liking. you have a book of colors to look at right?

Yeah we have tons of color chips… ill have to check on the pearl whites tho.

how many threads u going to strat for this car?

Well I just need to find a shop that I can trust to put the engine in and everything else and I should be good.

www.1st-try.com

I double checked, we do have pearl white paint chips… I dont know why I wasn’t sure before… but we do.

she was asking me about doing ghost flames possibly too. Can you guys do them and what color ghost flames would work on white? or would it not look good on white?

Have 1st try do the installation and fabrication work. Jeff is the man. Also, why not do a lot of the work yourself and save on major cash?

i would like to do the work but i have no idea where to start and my tools suck.

this may sound dumb to some people, but why are you going to the bank to take out a loan for the car? why not just build the car slowly and pay as you go?

i agree with going to jeff for the exhaust stuff. he should be able to help you out with that. he can probably also install the engine for you as well.

We can do them… but to be honest, I think pearl white would look a lot cleaner… you really dont want to junk that mustang up… thats just my opinion tho… we can do whatever you want.

As far as the exhaust and other work, take it to 1stTry… Jeff is the man and actually cares about what he works on!

yeah ghost flames are not something wanted for sure just a thought after seeing them on a few cars but not in white. 1st try is where we will take it for sure.

Gotts go to the bank for a loan cuz with our money little by little would take 20 years lol. We just want it to be done and reliable to drive daily in the summer.

With all the work your planning, between full paint and motor work, that thing wont be done till late fall! Although it will be worth the wait.

Yeah it should be nice, its been a long time waiting to do something with this car.