GM Cutting Warranty Miles & Free Maintenance For 2016

The five-year/100,000-mile powertrain coverage – once touted by former GM CEO Rick Wagoner as a symbol of the improved quality of GM’s vehicles – will be reduced to five years/60,000 miles for '16 models.

GM also will scale back its offer of two years of free maintenance, including oil changes and tire rotations, on most new Chevy, GMC and Buick vehicles. The brands, which began the free-maintenance deal for model year 2014, will reduce the number of free service visits to two, from four, starting with '16 models.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150312/RETAIL/150319950/gm-to-cut-chevy-gmc-powertrain-warranty-to-60000-miles-from-100000

They’re saying it’s not really a selling point. That could be, but when your competition offers more it makes people question why you don’t as well.

The competition doesn’t offer more. Honda, Toyota, Ford, VW, Nissan - The 5 manufacturers GM should be worrying about, all offer 5/60k.

Ah I misread that part.

I wonder how many people keep a new car past 60k?

Or how many drive 20k+ a year. 12k might be light but 20k was heavy. 15k is the national average.

I drive 30k per year. Warranties generally have zero input when I’m buying a new vehicle. That being said, some dealers that offer lifetime warranties get my atention. I really wouldn’t mind buying a new hell cat from a dodge dealer offering lifetime drivetrain on her.

Hellcats have nine lives so a warranty might not be a good investment.

At first I was like what are they thinking, but if that’s where the competitors are then I guess it’s competitive.

What cars have those warranties ?
I think my truck had only 3/36000

That is the bumper to bumper. What is being discussed is the powertrain.

My wife and I are looking into the Kia 10/100 power train warranty.

FYI that one is not transferable if I recall

“Anyremaining portion of any warranty, except the 120month/100,000 mile Power Train (Original Owner)warranty, is fully transferable to subsequent owners.”

pulled from the 2016 KIA warranty manual.

Chrysler down to 5yr/60k powertrain warranty as well

Time to pick up your Hellcats with 100k warranties before they are gone.

my ram was certified pre owned and was automatically bumped from 5yr/100k to 7yr/100k.

I see the only reason for a manufacture to lower warranty timeframe/miles is to reduce their risk of paying money for a repair. its not like youre paying extra for the basic warranty.

for a while there you could get a lifetime powertrain warranty on chrysler/dodge/ram/jeep vehicles.

Not sure how much this matters, no one seems to keep cars for too long anymore these days…