GM is like that retarded hamster that keeps licking the electrified water bottle

How is using the LS2 putting them in trouble?

Maybe they should use their PITIFUL, underpowered compared to the competition, hack of a motor V6 instead.

They are usinga GOOD motor that they have to power multiple platforms. It’s helped Dodge out big with the HEMI line.

Plus, the Vette is a Vette because of a shit more than just a freaking engine.

4dr GM/Holden

korea as a daewoo, lol

I think the problem with the GTO was that it was originally an all american muscle car. They bastardized it by making it an australian imported grand-am look alike.

I still think GM is in the right direction. They have those motors tuned out very well for fuel economy making it a good motor for alot of platforms. Its also great because they already have a good aftermarket support for this engine. I believe ive even seen a ls2/2 swap kit for a saturn sky. thats gotta move!

Since when did america care about this shit…

Look how many humdrum camrys sold then compare it to how many GTOs were sold. Hell compare it to ANY chevy model.

Toyota hasent had a real performance car in years. Yet they are profitable and they are selling like hotcakes.

It would be a calculated risk if they created a NEW car not rebirthed a discontinued model into a 4 door then hope for the best.

The paradox is that we all want exciting cars but boring cars are the bread and butter of the american market.

We know what we want, we BUY what we need and can afford.

Ironicly they ARE sitting on thier laurels and doing the exact same thing. This thing is not working yet they keep doing it.

what do you think they should make?

First off they need to cut out some models. There is way too much repitition.

GM needs a GOOD economy car not multiple mediocre ones.
GM needs a GOOD family car not multiple so so ones.
GM needs a GOOD sporty car not multiple models with SS badges slapped onto it.

GM HAS a performance/marketing flagship the Corvette this is good.
When the consumer buys the flagship they want to know they are buying somthing special. The people who can afford this car want to know that they ARE getting somthing out of the ordinary.

We may not see it this way but traditionally MARKETING WISE the best way to kill the PERCIEVED value of a flagship model is putting the exact same equipment in a lower model.

You CAN use the same equipment but you should not market it as the same equipment. To this date subaru has NEVER confirmed that the motor in the LegacyGT is the exact same longblock as in the STi. The only confirmation was from parts number matchups from dealer partlists. Nissan has never confirmed that the 350z motor was the same as in the altima and maxima…ect… Other than that the lower model was also rated at significantly less horsepower even if this was not the case.

Oh god.

Chevy is just a name in Europe. http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/info/our_models/index.htm

Opel and Vauxhall sell actual GM cars.

that would be a monster of a car :tup:

I disagree. GM’s heyday was when they put big motors in cheap cars. Remember the original GTO, SS396, etc.? Sounds like an excellent formula still. There are lots of reasons for a car model to sell or not sell. Sometimes it’s 'cause the car is a turd (many examples), other times it’s really hard to say. The GTO is/was a great car. About the only objective criticism is that it’s a bit bland looking, but so are a lot of great cars (think nearly any of Chris Bangle’s BMW’s, for starters). GM’s problems are more image/marketing than anything else. They have a number of competitive productrs and some outstanding ones. But they can’t figure out how to market and service them. They need to look hard at what Toyota/Lexus are doing.

Having the LS2 available in a number of cars does not make the Corvette less (or more) desirable, IMHO.

GM’s problem is the fact that for every car they make they are like $3,000 in debt because of unions and medical benifits for retired employees. So they either have to cut corners in cost or add a few thousand dollars to the price of every car they make.

Saying that putting an LS2 in other cars hurts them is retarded.

I’ve been saying that since they brought the car here. :tup:

I have to agree with Roby on many points…

Whatever GM is doing ( and I can’t really put my finger on it ), when I look at their new cars I think cheap.

They are lack luster, they don’t excite me… I don’t want to go over and look in the windows… I don’t care. The only saving grace is the somewhat low prices.

It doesn’t have to be an awesome car to instill excitement, or even a flagship… look at the Mazda 6… that thing is still sweet.

For whatever reason GM cars just look like toys, unoriginal, like they have been made out of tupperware. Again… maybe it’s the marketing adgenda that has poisoned my mind that cheaper = shitty… but I guess I wouldnt drive a scion if I thought that were the case.

here’s the problem with that car:

http://www.gearheadplanet.com/shop/images/chevy/250/313.jpg

:repost: kind of
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17096&highlight=grand+prix

I really dont see how this will hurt them…now the fathers who can’t afford a Vette can feel like they have a car with some balls :gotme:. And yeah, It worked with dodge…why not GM?

I’ve actually grown quite fond of the GTO as of late.
4 door, rear wheel drive, V8, manual…sounds like what the Impala SHOULD have been.

but, it’s more fun to have an over saturated market. It’ll surely help drive sales up and definately clear out inventories in a heartbeat.

Side Note: Having to phase out Oldsmobile is a great reference for this thread.

GM shoots itself in the foot often. I don’t think every model should get the “SS” badge. It should be reserved for a few special cars. Putting the LSx in other cars makes sense. It’s been a success in the 'Vette, so why not use it elsewhere? GM has had it’s share of bombs. But don’t overlook some newer stuff that IS selling. Maybe you don’t like it but the HHR is selling well, as are Solstice/Sky. The Saturn Aura should do well also. Like them or hate them, Cadillac has been brought back from the dead, and is doing well. I drove a CTS-V and it is one hell of a car. The G6 is another that is gaining share in it’s class. A couple of Buicks are holding their own in their class as well. Remember, not all buyers are enthusiasts like us. Many just want simple, reliable, economical transportation. Sure GM has made ugly junk, but so have most of the other car manufacturers at one time or another. My 2 cents.:rant:

I really like the direction Saturn is going, I think Buick is making huge improvements, and Cadillac is on a roll. As for the other brands–meh.