Why I Hate GTO's.

im sure you’ve seen some posts from me hating on GTO’s. But why jam? why do you hate on them???

well let me tell you why. when i think of a gto, i think of one of these.

FUCK. YES. SRS BSNS. For christ sake, i made a model of one of those when i was a kid. That is what a GTO should look like.

instead we get this-

http://nozama.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/08/gto2.jpg

wait. WTF? that looks like a bloated RWD Grand Am! WTF is this shit charles?

To make matters even worse, the GTO isnt even an american car. Designed, Assembled, and Engineered all in Australia.

Now this is really what pisses me off. It isnt an american car, its a rebadged
Holden (pic below) but gm decided to just pick up a holden, badge it
differently, throw a big v8 under the hood, and call it a gto. if they would
have named it anything other than a gto i dont think it would have been
that big of a deal to me. but. they had to name it a gto. to me when i hear
that it reminds me of the glory days of american cars. big, rwd, v8 boats
that got 11 mpgs. but we didnt care! hell, gas was $.35/gallon!

if you want to “bring back the GTO” at least make it an original design. For christ sake. if anything, you owe it to the history of the car.

this has been going on for years now. most prominently in the late 80’s with
eagle/mitsubishi. that whole “if you cant beat em, join em” attitude. piss
fucking poor. and youre wondering why american car companys are now
close to bankruptcy.

uninspiring, boring, run of the mill, mediocre looking cars.

oh, and joe… i have new sig for you :wink:

“I love it. GM could put their badge on a Holden and sell it and you’d dyed in the wool domestic lovers would stand behind it.” - JAM

well said

:lol: You are funny! SO much anger over the name of a vehicle that you supposedly don’t even care about. Let it go man… let it go.

:drama2:

:bigclap:

My old GTO pictured here had a 400, built TH400, 4:11’s, 12 bolt, 150 shot, headers, blah blah blah… My new GTO is way more fun to drive and isn’t that much slower. Without the 150 shot, the new GTO could take it. I agree the new ones don’t look as good but they are a lot more fun to drive…

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c349/juicedss/34.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c349/juicedss/LS.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c349/juicedss/ENG.jpg

x2

Why not the same anger over the malibu or impala?

Because these two cars alone are keeping me employed lol.

The new GTO’s are fun.

I’m happy it wasn’t some ugly ass retro ride like the mustang or challenger. I hate retro. It’s nothing nut a way for shitty designers to keep their jobs.

I’m also happy it was made in aussieland because if it was made here it would have typical shifty gl interior quality.

It should have been called something other than GTO though. I think Pontiac Monaro sounds great.

Besides, if I needed a car to make me cool or feel accepted I would have bought an under powered 3 series for the same price ;).

New GTO’s are sweet as hell to drive. Yeah they aren’t as flashy as the 60’s versions but they don’t look bad at all.

I’m buying a GTO tomorrow just to spite you.

Not a fan of old boxy muscle cars. Most of them are “all bark no bite.”

The fast ones which still look relatively OEM are cool.

coming from the srt-4 guy.

I think this thread would be more suited if it were 2004 not 2008.

I like the GTO’s alot… name doesnt fit them but they are a damn nice car. As i have said before, why all the hate for the GTO’s when 80% of people on here drive what the majority of the population would consider shit boxes?

I was just saying this in another thread, about GM ruining good muscle car names with Average cars.

:rofl:

Short answer: Because of the name.

If they hadn’t killed off the original GTO and it had existed all along, where do you think it would be at 40 years later? Still the original body design? Throw in bias-ply tires, a 3-speed, and pointy gauges on the dash you can impale yourself on. No, it would have gone from a big, rwd, v8 beast that got 11 mpg to a big, rwd, v8 beast that got 18 MPG. Sounds pretty similar.

If they would have called it the G8 from the start, none of this would be an issue.

Imports don’t have this problem because 1. most of them don’t have names and 2. most of them pre-80’s were shit sandwiches.

A GM badge on a holden is the same as a GM badge on a chevy. Same company there chief. I don’t like domestics because they’re made here. I like them because they have torque.