GM's Passlock (?) Theft System

I was wondering if any one knows anything about what I am told is GM’s Passlock theft system. It seems to be a passive theft deterrent, but it really makes my wife nuts because the only thing it deters is her getting to work on time when the car ('99 Malibu) doesn’t start the first time. If the car doesn’t fire right up on the first try, you have to sit and wait 10 minutes for the stupid “Theft System” light on the instrument panel to stop blinking. Is there any simple way to jump this our or have it removed altogether?

replace the passloc sensor. i believe its right next to or on the ign cylinder

talk to chaz at first bass. he may have a solution for you. i know he took care of a customer of mine for similar problems before

you can bypass the theftlock, if you know the resistance of your particular system. its fairly easy to bypass (when you install a remote starter, etc).

http://passlock1.com/

check this out, seems simple enough!

I turned my passlock off with HPT.

I was thinking about Chaz since he has the big remote start banner out front of the store. This car had a Ziebart installed remote start that doesn’t work right anyway, and I thought he might be able to help me out.

ok first of guys just remember there are 4 different versions of the antitheft for GM. VATS, Passlock1, Passlock2 and PassKey3, and they are all different in how they work.

IIRC the Malibu is the Passlock2, and this can be bypassed with a resistor that is inline with the wiring in the colum

there will be a small harness with 3 wires red/white. yellow, and orange/black you cut the yellow and you strip the orange/black but not cutting it. Turn the key to start then back to run and measure the resistance

so is she trying to use the remote start ?

i would just take it to chaz and have him figure it out, cuz if its doing that its either due to the remote start that was previously installed or something else is wrong…cuz it shouldn’t just be doing that

Normally doesn’t use the remote start, because it doesn’t really work that well unless ,get this, it’s REALLY cold.

The remote start is causing this issue. It prob has a 555L installed. Those care are known for having remote start issues.

More than likely, the problem is the remote start install. In the old days when this system was first introduced ('95 Grand Am, Cavalier, etc) the only way to bypass it was to use relays & resistors. The resistance is introduced after the key is released from the crank position, which is different than the original VATS system (resistance during crank).

More than likely when the remote starter was installed, they cut the security wires in the steering column & bypassed it. I have found that when you do this, you hurt the integrity of the system. It could be fixed by re-measuring the resistance value & installing the proper resistor, but I would suggest having the system connected back up & getting a bypass module that connects to the ALDL connector. There are a few different modules & it depends on the year & model of car. I have also seen where if the installer used a module, it may need reprogrammed to correct the issue.

I refuse to cut any GM security wire and always use the proper bypass module. In the old days, we had no choice. I’ve done many GM Passlock & Passkey cars & have had very little trouble.

Another thing that can happen is the ignition tumbler/switch can go bad (Malibu is in the dash - I have heard of a few dash-mounted switches going bad). This will cause erratic starting issues. If it starts with the remote starter, but not the key, then this would be your problem. The fact that you stated that it corrects itself after the key is left on (10 minutes) would lead me to believe it is the remote starter install. This is the time needed to reset the system.

Chaz is in your backyard, so I suggest taking it to him. If you were out my way, I could help you out. I’m out of town until Friday, though.

Im happy you all are suggesting me, :blue:

I agree with the bypass (555L) i have replace several of these units (2 in Malibu) that did the exact same thing.

i stock the gm remote start bypass that can replace that on (Maintaining the remote start), or i can remove the one thats in there now (Eliminating the remote start all together)

either way gimme a ring, ill figure out a way to get her to work on time.

yup, i would go with chaz, he put one of those things in my fathers car and it has had no remote start problem

im currently trying to bypass the VATS in my car because the security light keeps comming on… i just need a warm day so i can put the resistor in

I’ll be there one of these days…as soon as I recover from nearly every one of my major appliances crapping out in the space of four months.