Going back to school, would like advice

Well, I’ve done a lot of thinking the past few weeks and have decided to go back to school.
I graduated highschool in 2005 with a regents diploma but have never went to college.
My grades were never hot in school, I spent my time screwing with cars,snowboarding and racing and could have cared less about school, So I am pretty much stuck going to ECC (not like it’s a bad thing)

I’m looking through the book and there is so many danm options.
My first thought was business administration. (i always did good in business classes in H.S)
But then I look at Civil Engineering, and how danm cool it would be to work in the construction field… Planning and designing things. I’ve always been intrigued by construction aswell.

I’ve always been interested in economics and politics…well, more so the arguing part of politics.
I guess I am kind of kicking my self for taking such a long time off of school, now I am 20yrs old and don’t have anything else than a highschool diploma.
Can anyone critique my choices? I’d like to hear from people who went through with these degrees and some do’s and do nots.
It’s kind of hard to see what I am asking for, for advice… someone just enlighten me.

-oh yeah, I’m still doing the snowmobile thing. I doubt my schooling will affect it at all.

If I were you, I’d knock the general courses out of the way for the first semester or 2 while looking into the fields you are interested in. This way when you decide you don’t have to take the BS courses because they’re outta the way. Really spend time and look into the things you would like to do for the rest of your life. you need to look at where you’re going to be living/working, see what the average income is in that type of work and how abundant jobs in that field are.

Hope that helps some, I’m in the same boat currently. except I just transferred from another college to ecc.

Oh and if you don’t mind me asking. what’s the snowmobile thing?

2 years off isn’t that bad. Of course its just enough to make you really not want to go back to a classroom. :stuck_out_tongue:

I myself am kind of partial to engineering, and I’ve seen a lot of people with just 2 or 4 year degrees in business not be able to do much with them.

Then again, engineering classes can be painfully boring and you don’t seem like the type that likes to sit in a classroom? (I can relate. I skipped soooo many classes in undergrad.) Maybe you can figure out some sort of civil/business hybrid program and be set up for construction management?

If nothing else, just get back into a classroom before you talk yourself out of it. Get some gen-ed’s done. Maybe take a class or two from different disciplines and see what you like or what you hate?

Good luck!

These some average starting salary’s for different Degrees. Don’t base what you want to do in life by money but…

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/11/pf/college/starting_salaries/index.htm?postversion=2007071216

I would say a business degree would be the most versatile. I have a 4yr in Political Science and unless you are planning on going on to an advanced degree its not much use. Also, think about doing your prerequisites at ECC, do really well, and then transfer out to a different school like UB or Canisius. 20 isn’t that bad to go back either. I knew a lot of guys that were in the military and got their 4yr when they got out at 22.

go and get your general ed courses out of the way, then transfer to a suny school for what you want to do… ecc/suny credits transfer no questions asked. just keep your gpa UP. you don’t need to decide now what you want to do with the rest of your life… that’s what ecc is for, its a junior college.

also, i would contact ub professors/advisors and ask them for guidance… they have done the transfer thing many times and can give you some good advice… im sure if you contact ecc they could help you too.

Yes go to a communitiy college like ECC or NCCC before you transfer to a university to finish up.

Do something that you like, because its painful to do something that you don’t.

Community College first to get the general courses done… once you take them, you’ll figure out which route to go.