Going to look at a GTI tomorrow, anything I should know?

Ya so I am going to look at a 95 GTI tomorrow (relax its just for a winter beater), is there any one area I should look at? What are the problem areas for GTI’s?

check VW Vortex… specifically, the car purchasing sub-forum
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=126

However those cars don’t really come recommended… seeing that 2 of my friends who are VW fanatics, had 2 of those cars, also had tons of problems with them.

I love my 95 jetta. but the reason for that is it’s the bare essentials. Non power windows, lock etc. Electrical problems plague 95% of vws. Thats my only piece of advice.

Is it a 2.0 gti or vr6?

even if its a 1.8gl or w/e i had one as a winter car and the intake plenum thing is made out of plastic and it cracked and coolant pissed out. then i blew it up, then i bought a 240sx as a winter beater, now i sold my summer car cause 240s rock.
my life in a nutshell.

btw stay away from euro.

edit nvm its a gti they are still wood tho lol

im not betting to much into it. i talked to the guy for about 5 mins on the phone and all he said is “it has no rust and runs great” but it has high k’s (almost 280) so thats why hes selling it for cheep.

what kind of problems?

rust all around the bottom of the door and rocker panels. But if its a beater, fuck it…

i had a 96 jetta with the 2.0, which is what most GTI’s that old came with. it was awful. The head cracked and the fucker burned oil and coolant and leaked oil all over the place. I had to keep my foot on the gas at lights or the blowby/lack of compression combo would stall the car out.

Hatch rust, shotty tranny’s at times, vr6 gti or 2.0?

if its not a TDI don’t touch VW

peace

if its a GTI, your asking for problems. vw’s are known to have many electrical problems. also, they are a bitch and a half to take care of, if youve never owned a euro car, dont bother with it. go grab a tercell or something.

$0.02

^^^ +1 man, my buddy works at a shop and everytime they get a VW he gets headaches. Apparently they are absolute bitches to work on.

got yaa, probably not the best car to look into for a beater
yaa maybe i will look into a shitty jeep or something

Yea… if you’re getting something for the winter it just needs to be reliable, really don’t recommend getting a VW, get something Japanese.

Jeeps hold their value like a mofo. I wouldnt buy one of those for a beater. Unless you want money tied up in a beater just to sell it again.

Yeah, that GTI won’t just be a winter beater. It will be a wallet beater as well.

just stay away from vw’s. hunks of crap. everything is plastic. EVERYTHING. parts are expensive. they are just garbage

off top of my head;
headlights getting only half the voltage (never figured out why), power windows working 50% of the time, some weird tranny problems, cracked heater core = coolant spilling inside the car (LOL, I actually laughed hard when I saw it), oil plug on the oil pan broke off and he spilt all the oil on the street (luckily he noticed it right away)…
I know they had tons of problems, I just can’t remember all the stuff they told me.

cracked heater core = coolant spilling inside the car

LOL, that happened with my jetta, i ended up having to bypass the heater core ( looped the lines ) and ended up loosing my heat. i got lucky , and didint have coolant spilling in the cockpit, but i did have coolant smoke coming from all the vents. Looked like my car was on fire haha.

hahaa, what the hell are these things, death traps?

ahahah i can’t believe that… coolant spilling inside the car?