VW owners speak up!

i just picked up a 97 jetta gls for a beater. got 140k on the clock and seems to run well other than struts and gas milage sucks. just lookin for feedback on problems with the car or what to keep an eye on. never owned a VW so im clueless about this thing…

any input would be appreciated

Potential problems: Everything

Why?: Built by Volkswagen

Input: Sell it.

for starters, you have to turn gay, buy an apple computer, sit at starbucks all day, and basically just be a raging metro/homosexual from now on. Other than that, I can’t really help with your VW.

:slight_smile:

MK3’s are notorious for electrical problems. Other than that, the motors they offered that year are all pretty good runners if taken care of. (2.0L and 2.8L VR6)

Edit: Not sure about the 12V VR’s, but the 2.0’s have a timing belt that will need changed on occasion (something like every 60-80,000 miles)

my buddy has 96 vr6 he loves it. i think he has about the same ammount of milage… fine german engineering… hes got random electrical issues like windows work when they want to speedo doesnt work odo does heated seats work when they want… other than that his car was beat to piss by the previous owner and he does too and has no real problems it runs pretty damn good

yea niether of the rear windows work, and it sucks. just dont know if i need a motor switch or regulator?? motor seems real good tranny is a little iffy

is it a stick when my boy got his it was a lil notchy filled it up with some lucas and 15w40 and it shifts like butter now

ive owned my 97 golf for 10 yrs now and put on 90k of its 120,000miles. i beat the crap out of it and it keeps on running. i suppose i should change the timing belt soon.

ive had a few problems during that time. the starter twice(plastic reduction gear inside), the tranny three times(first time was a abuse,second time sendells fault, third was abuse), and now the door locks.

yea today the temp is runnin high so i’m thinkin water pump. still the origanal. it’s an auto (my wife has to be able to drive it) so cant mess with the fluid. bought lucas and there is nowhere to put it in at. got a new serpintine belt just haven’t got it on, maybe that is why the temp is runnin high and power steering is notchy, worn belt slippin from the rain today?? i dunno…

arent water pumps run off the timing belt on those

yea found that out today, have to remove half the motot mounts and lower it down to get access, sux!

no, water pumps are not off the timing belt. they are mounted down low on the block. you either split the housing and replace the pump, or do whole housing w/ pump.

chances are good if you try splitting the housing, at least 1 bolt will snap. hence why just better to replace it entire way.

if it is heating up, i’d confirm why it is before you go tossing parts on it. thats why 99% of vw’s turn to shit-- because people toss parts at a car w/ no clue whats wrong. it could be an air pocket because system was not bleed properly or just a stuck thermostat, or a high temp thermostat like an 87degress c stat.

im starting to think the gauge could be bad. when you get in it shows 185ish then after 5 min the temp will drop back to cold start temp. making me think the gauge or sending unit took a shit. was gonna do the stat for the hell of it just cause they r so cheap

is it green? if so saw it the other day did look good

yea it’s the forest green color. just hate the gay wheels it came with lookin for some stock one’s.

workin on it all weekend, lowering springs,4 struts ,front brakes n rotors, fuel filter, plugs, wires, turn signal thats missing, gauges, clear corners, so hopefully it will be runnin good now! and lookin a little better…

get a bentley if you haven’t already .you should go to a “you pull it” for the window regs millers town has got about 5 or 6 mk3’s but there prices are a bit high IMO. make sure your shock towers aren’t showing rust. have fun with your new vw .

100% goin to the junkyard just not sure what part it needs. is it typically the motor? or switch, i usally go to all foriegn or maroney’s

i’m 80% sure its the switch in most cases . just test it with a working switch . use the passenger side switch on one of the back windows.

good plan i’ll try that

sold my 99 jetta gls… good beater except that it idled weird sometimes but it was a smooth ride the other times. the back seats sucked… baby seat barely fit back there