good allegheny campsites?

A couple of friends and I are going to allegheny tomorrow. I haven’t been there in a while and am not too familiar with any of the campsites they have there. (I know there’s another thread on allegheny, but i figure its a different type of question and stuff). It’ll be 3 people, and we’re going for 2 nights. I’d like a site with a firepit to cook stuff, and a little more isolated if possible. its a bit more of “lazy man” camping… anyone have any good suggestions?

if you don’t have reservations, you probably can’t get a site by just showing up. We have reservations for next week-weekend and I had to make reservations 2 months ago!! But anything in Redhouse is good. Good Luck!

[quote=“4DOORBABE,post:2,topic:33342"”]

if you don’t have reservations, you WILL NOT get a site by just showing up.

[/quote]

i’ve gone there in the past with no reservations and found sites though. we would be planning on getting there like 11-12 at the latest =x

you might want to call before you go:

main # (716) 354-9121

reservations # (800) 456-2267

some info I found for you:

Reservations
Arranging a stay at a New York state park is easy! Reservations can be made from 1 day - 9 months in advance by calling toll free 1-800-456-CAMP or www.reserveamerica.com. For spur of the moment trips, rentals are also available on a walk-up basis.

Reservations will be taken as follows:

* From December 1 through mid-March:
* Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
* Saturday and Sunday: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
* From mid-March through Labor Day:
* Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
* Saturday and Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
* From the day after Labor Day through November 30:
* Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
* Saturday and Sunday: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

what about places like heart’s content campground where its first come first serve? anyone know any places like that?

If you walk into Alleghany you still have a shot at a cabin. Ask for one on Parallel Trail. They don’t take reservations for those but they are on a first-come, first-serve basis. They are all kinda fucked up but still get the job done. #23 is the best of the lot up on a hill by itself.

willow bay.

fin.

well i guess we’ll be heading to tracy ridge. first come first serve with about 120 campsites so we should be good. next time we go, i’ll make sure to reserve a site at a more scenic campsite :slight_smile: