Good moving company?

What moving companies have you guys used in the past? My wife and I are moving from one end of Bethel to the other at the end of March. We plan on moving all of our stuff in the SUV with the exception of stuff like the bedroom furniture, TV, dining room, couches, office stuff, and washer/dryer. I tried to get some online quotes but only got one back from Two Men and a Truck. We were considering South Hills Movers and Donn Farr too, but I just want to get the best price I can and have people that won’t damage our stuff. I was going to move us by myself with a U-haul, but I really don’t want to carry the bedroom furniture and couches down two or three flights of steps, I’d probably scratch them up pretty bad.

My family has used Stumpf the couple times we’ve moved and they have been excellent.
Not one problem.

Hmm, never heard of that company. Do you know where they are located? I was leaning towards South Hills Movers and Two Men and a Truck since they are both in Bethel and I would save some money on the amount they charge you to get from their location to the first house and then back to their location from that second house. Not sure if that is even a significant expense though.

http://www.stumpfmovingandstorage.com/

That’s their Web site.

Two men and a truck moved some office furniture for the company i work for and they did a good job.

foster, carfton pa.

Two Men and Truck, I’m not a big fan of them. I’ve heard some horror stories. Don Farr is horrible. Stay as “Farr” as you can away from them. Stolen property, broken things, etc…

South Hills is excellent, but you will pay a fair amount for that. They have a lot of trucks and do an outstanding job.

My uncle owns a company as well, if your interested in a quote from him, I’ll be glad to get you in touch with him. It’s one of the more well known companies in the North Hills but he lives in the South Hills (West Mifflin) and works all over the area.

Most of the time you won’t pay a transfer fee for them to get from the shop to your door. That’s really only done on long-distance moves

I’ll do it, me and a friend used to work for south hills movers. we’ll rent a budget or penske and take care of ya :slight_smile:

most moving companies will charge you a min. of 4 hours. even if the movers are even there for a half hour. for a truck and 3 guys your looking approx $130-$150/hr + tax + insurance + stair charge + fuel surcharge etc etc,
prices may have gone up, its been a year since i been there.

^ how the hell are you gonna insure any damage, That "might " occur ?

You should know, People will bitch about anything.
not worth the potential headache, Jeff…

Gotta agree with Shaggy, as much as I would love to throw some money your way and save money over a moving company, I wouldn’t want to have to deal with any issues that might come up. Not that I don’t trust you, but I would hate for you to get hurt or for something to get damaged and then neither of us would have any recourse. Since you used to work at South Hills Movers, do you know if they do free in-home estimates and how close their estimates usually are?

completly understandable, we’ve done alot of moving on the side and never broke anything or got hurt but you never know.

free in home estimates. but if you get this guy “amul sorrow” (sp) tell him to leave, he’s got like an 80’s big haircut, kinda looks italian. worst estimator possible!

ask for dickson ( i forget his first name but he is the most accurate sales guy there, every mover there is relieved when they look at the paperwork and see that dickson was the salesperson because he is normally right on or under the estimate)

Cool, thanks a lot. I’ll give them a call this week.

Wow. Guess we were lucky then. Good to know!