Good read: Acura K23A1 Turbo

ACURA’S FIRST TURBO: WILL IT BOOST TUNER’S INTEREST?

Honda’s new hefty K-Series engine provides a performance boost for SUV consumers and could possibly offer insight into Honda’s engineering forecast. Developed specifically for the RDX, Acura’s compact sport-utility, the engine has been modified to accept the strain of a turbocharger; a brand first.

The major feature of the new system is a variable flow turbo (VFT), designed to regulate airflow with an actuator built within the turbo housing. Exhaust air is progressively directed into two main chambers, diverting air into the smaller chamber when air pressure is low, and throughout the entire system when air pressure is high. Controlled by the engine’s ECU, the computer determines the necessary level of flow to achieve efficient boost and desired power. Under these conditions, the impeller is able to spin quickly at low RPMs, eliminating relatively all turbo-lag and providing seamless force throughout the power band.

http://www.sema.org/images/Table_6_0628.gif

Similar attempts have been made by other manufacturers, but moving parts were often exposed to hot exhaust air, increasing repair costs and the frequency of failures. Honda’s straightforward technology places the inlet device in front of the turbine, insulated from the excessive heat, and thus substantially increasing durability.

The engine, named the K23A1, generates more torque than any other product Honda has sent to the United States, but thanks to the revolutionary i-VTEC technology the engine is respectably frugal. The potential for enthusiasts lies in the architecture, as it is closely related to the K-Series engines found in the RSX, TSX, and Civic Si. Engineers realized the additional burden they would be placing on the engine with the turbo, so the block was heavily reinforced, iron liners were added to cope with pressure and the crankshaft and connecting rods have been forged.

Due to this meaty reinforcement a direct engine swap is not possible. Nevertheless, this provides specialty equipment manufacturers with an opportunity to construct mounts and miscellaneous parts which will accommodate this engine. Given the popularity of engine swaps and the muscular structure of the K23A1, it is conceivable that enthusiasts will adopt this as their next project.

http://www.sema.org/images/Table_7_0628.jpg

In the April, 2006 edition of Super Street magazine, they ranked the “Top Ten Engines” of the last decade in regard to the compact performance industry. Honda produced three from the list: B16/B18, D16, K20. The K-Series is the most current of the bunch and should continue to be a tuner favorite, especially now that it’s available in a turbocharged version.

Put it in a Relitively Lightweight AWD car and I will buy…

Now for the total dick response: Its v-tec for your turbo.

Interesting

neat

Low compression is the key, THAT K23A1 HAS 8:5:1. SIIIIIIIIIICK bro.

the key to what?

i’ve never had an issue making big power on “high” compression turbo apps.

you sound like you talk to beck too much.

that would be kinda cool, it would be pretty sweet to have an MDX with a 4 banger turbo under the hood and AWD.

kinda reminds me of what they put on TDi’s

the engine has been modified to accept the strain of a turbocharger; a brand first.
:eek:

I can see it now, 50K miles and the VFT will freeze almost shut, and you will need to replace the turbo. :bloated:

wtf put this in a rsx or civic si and ill get my self in debt.

I was reading this yesterday :tup:

I’ll wait… AWD, Turbo TSX. :crossfingers:

Ew. Lets not go the direction of the new MDX

Even as gas prices rise and truck and SUV sales shrink, Acura is going against conventional wisdom and launching an all-new version of its MDX. Acura figures the luxury midsize SUV category will grow 26 percent in the next five years and aims to be ready with its new truck.

The new MDX has crisper sheetmetal and a more driver-oriented interior. Acura officials said they were going for a sportier looking-and driving-MDX.

That starts with the new 3.7-liter V6 powering the new MDX. Horsepower is up 40 to 300 and the engine produces 275 lb ft of torque, up 25 lb ft. It is mated to a 5-speed sequential gearbox.

Three option packages will be available when the car is on sale in a month or so and can be mixed and matched. The Sport package has active dampers, high-zoot leather and alloy wheels. The Technology package includes DVD Nav system with real-time traffic updates, rearview camera, and automatic climate control. The Entertainment package has a rear-entertainment system, power tailgate and heated second row seats.

Prices aren’t set in stone yet, but Acura is figuring on $41,000-$48,000.

Whoa, whoa let’s calm it down. I was complimenting low compression not dissing high compression. I own a high compression car, why would I diss it.

why are you complementing low compression?

it would have been better had they left it somewhere between 9.5-10:1

like so many other honda guys you are just regurgitating things you’ve read or heard from others.
yeah, sweet… low compression… awesome, i love turbo lag :bloated:

and like dezod said. that thing is totally going to break, and its going to break often.

FMIC and a bigger $nail on that and id be a fun family cruiser

at first glance, i was like damn, looks like we have a new most stolen car in america, but then upon reading about it, itll be a bitch to swap this, and the internal strength of this motor is not too great, and u are better off turboing your stock k20a or k24

People said terrible things like this when VTEC was first introduced…

yea we got an RDX at are work (ray laks), and its cool, u kno y??? cus it has a boost gauge:lol:…just waiting for it in a car now, but acura is the first ones to come out with the new technology before honda(dunno why?)…so lets just wait n see…