Good upconvert or HD/DVD player?

Need to upgrade the dvd player for the new HDTV, and i really haven’t paid much attention to the growth and transition of DVD players lately. I see most of them claiming to be “upconvert” dvd players, but i don’t know if thats a marketing ploy or if it really is the next phase of DVD players with HDMI cables and such

i thought about getting the 360 HD/DVD player, but i don’t like the idea of overusing the 360 with everyone having issues with the ring of death from overuse and such, so looking to get a standalone unit

opinions? good experiences? good deals to be found?

hd-dvd will loose the format war.

Go blu-ray, and get the ps3, it has a great upconvertor. Currently better than most upconverting dvd players.

I used to not buy into the whole “upconverting” thing. I figured my tv was 1080p natively, so that’s what I’m going to get regardless of what dvd player I have.

But the ps3’s upconverting is on another level. Movies look much more fantastic on the ps3 vs my other dvd player, the 360.

I’m not bashing any console, just fyi.

meh, i appreciate PS3 for what it is, but i like my 360 a lot better. playstation lost my interest a while back and aside from ps3 having the built in blu-ray, i don’t find it to be a ton better than 360 and thus not worth dropping another 600 on a new system that i only play now to play “destroy all humans” and the original guitar hero :stuck_out_tongue:

i honestly have so many dvd’s, i doubt i would even buy more than a couple hd-dvd’s except for certain movies that i would imagine look THAT much better in them, like possibly the matrix trilogy and maybe the 300 when it comes out. i’d probably only be buying an HD-DVD player for its upconverting capabilities since i don’t think my old busted memorex one is going to cut it forever :stuck_out_tongue:

Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi for an upconverting DVD player

If you are going HD-DVD/Blu-Ray get the LG universal player, its surprisingly good for what it does and its price.

blue ray looks amazing compared to regular dvds when viewed on a good tv.

I’ve got a sony up-converting that I got about 2 years ago at BB; was well worth the price vs a normal DVD player.

Haven’t invested in a true HD player yet; was waiting for the war to settle down.

Yea I am waiting for the HD DVD war to drop down and see whos still standing. I am just sticking to Blueray rips :slight_smile: