Hooking up HD from DVD to TV.

Ok so i want to hook up a DVD player to a TV so i can watch it as HD. The TV is HD and the DVD is not i think but if you can connect it, what cables should u need to make it HD?

you need to have a hd (upconverter) dvd player. its not just the cables that make it hd.

cliffs-tv is hd
dvd is not hd
fail.

your not going to get HD quality using a standard DVD player but the best way for you to hook it up would be through an HDMI cable or the Component Cables

:bloated: :smash2: :hang: that is all

Wow. If it’s progressive scan use some component cables. 480p is the best you’ll get.

Option 2: Buy a PS3 and get upconversion, Blu-Ray, and gaming in HD

it was a friend and he was like “it’ll work”. I just wanted to show him how stupid he was by saying that it’ll be better than just buying a HD DVD player. thanks for the imput to prove him wrong.

“For a Friend”. Sure…

wow…

You should definitely buy an hd-dvd player. I hear they’re on sale now.

HD DVD players can be had for like $40 now but you wont find movies for them anymore just buy blu ray. Also is he trying to play HD DVDs in the player or does he think regular DVD’s will play in HD if he uses HD cables

I have a HD upconverting DVD player for sale: http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45968

The fact of the matter is that any HD tv will ‘upconvert’ any non-HD content to fill its screen, but depending on the quality of the tv and the software on it, This could result in a stretched or letterboxed picture. An upconverting DVD player does the upconversion as good as possible before the signal is sent to the TV, so your TV can watch the signal unscaled, in “HD”. However, no matter what you do to the image, one way or another the 480 box in the following pic is being stretched or stretched and cropped to fit the HD resolutions below.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/48/700px-Common_Video_Resolutions.svg.png

upconverting dvd player is not going to give you the picture quality that a true hd dvd player has.

Of course not, because it only has 480x720 of information to work with. A good upconverting player is however your best bet for watching standard DVDs on a HD tv.

Right about now is when I’m glad that I was never one to amass a huge collection of movies.

i am the same way. i never collect dvds or cds due to you never know what will come out next

It’s not bad when you’re just burning copies of Netflix rentals, but when blu-ray blanks come down in price I’ll probably start re-renting some of my favorites. Sucks for people like my father in law who have 100’s of legit movies he paid good money for.