Good winter beaters?

Hey guys, can anyone suggest any good winter beaters? Looking for a car, don’t want a truck, something that’s good in snow and it must be reliable.
Ps. The reason why I’m asking is because it’d kill me to drive a 240 in the winter:p and with winter fast approaching, I need to start looking into some sort of car. I was thinking something along the lines of an Impreza, but the wallet is saying “oh hell no” lol. Looking to spend around $4-8000.
Thanks!:smiley:

$4-8000 for a winter beater??? Shit must be nice, most people consider a winter beater to be a $500-1500 dollar car. Buy another 240 if youve got that kinda cash laying around.

I would go for a civic, with some snows they are unbeatable for reliability and getting around in the winter.

how about an sr 240sx…
thats what I am doing :stuck_out_tongue:

lol, I’d go with another 240, it’d just kill me to see it go through the winter though, cuz God knows these cars cant handle it…and never in my life would I drive my 240 in the winter, so yeah lol, I guess beating up a Honda would be fun:p. Thanks for giving ideas :smiley:

4-8 gs… u can get a decent daily driver car…civics and even old awd imprezas…ur 240sx must be hotness… show meeeeeeeeeeee

haha

i was going to suggest rs2.5 or any older subaru within your price range.

if you dont mind an auto tranny, get a subaru svx :slight_smile: those are pimplicious.

especially if u dont mind spending 6 grand on a tranny every time it breaks LOL , but u can find those things for like a grand with a blown tranny , there slow , but they handle great

LOL, yeah all really good suggestions for a wb…hmm, this gets me thinking…I’m really interested in the 2.5RS, i might check the Subaru club to see if anything comes up. Really dont wanna end up like a buddy driving a hatchy Civic as a beater and the thing cant even get past like 2cm of snow without almost killing itself:p haha.

Check out my Solara http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?p=252504#post252504
Great winterbeater.

i have 1600 into a 92 vw golf. It goes through anything. i have pushed snow with the front bumper and not gotten it stuck.

Hmm…a winter VDub. I dunno, never actually thought of using one for winter. That Solara looks very clean IMO…and the color is sweet, all my cars will probably only ever be black :D.

VW is the shit. And they will go through anything… Bullet proof motors, reliable, decent looking, awesome on gas/fuel, I’m considering getting a new one when I sell my S13.

It’s called winter beater for a reason, beater!!! Nothing nice, buy something that is rusted right to hell, but with a solid engine. That’s all you need (as long as it safeties and e-tests). You want a car you don’t have to worry about, who cares if it burns a quart of oil a week, it’s still good. In fact, look for one that burns oil. Neon’s, j-bodies, and all junk like that are made for the winter. If you ditch the cavalier, pull it out, clean up the broken glass and continue driving:-D It gives it character

The man makes a good point.

Yeah, I see what he’s saying too. Buying an expensive WB = waste of money…and is right, I just dont want to be putting more money into the “more busted up” beater, I’d rather just buy something that I know will get me from A - B in the winter and not having to worry about it konking out in the middle of the road…thus my reasoning for wanting to spend a little more on the winter car, I already hate winter with a passion, having my car break down in the middle of a snowy road would make me go insane…plus this beater MIGHT just be used in the summer every few weeks aswell.

any honda for 1500-2500$ is gold in my books, especially a 1.5, 1.6, where the engine only costs like 500 bucks, if your good with cars, replace it before the winter and you’ll have a solid car for sure.