Good Winter Beaters for <$1000

Hey guys, I’m sure many of us haven’t gotten a winter beater yet to drive in the winter time @ this point, instead of sacrificing some clean metal to rust.:mad:

So here’s the thread where i hope we can help each other out to find out some cars that we didn’t know or know which will be helpful/useful winter beaters. In terms of gas mileage, insurance, and durability.:/:

I for one am looking for a car around $600 to thrash about in the coming snow and snowstorm(s)…lol. I honestly don’t see why I should risk driving my car in the winter and ruin my investment if I bought it with hardly any rust to begin with, because even after 1yr of winter driving you’ll find some rust bubbles, etc.

So here it is…what’s a good winter beater that’ll be less or equal to the average insurance, gas mileage usage…and be reliable!:cool:

So far, I’ve found the Acura Integra Mk2’s to be a good option. I’m looking to purchase one, but haven’t been able to find many for sale under $1000, insurance is around the neighbourhood of a 240, slightly less.

Also interested in the Civic Hatches/Sedans from 94 & down, or even a Honda Accord I’d say is good. Haven’t looked at insurance for these ones but I know that reliability should be good and gas mileage up to par and better than a 240.

Not sure about the German makes, in terms of Insurance mostly…like a Golf or a Jetta Mk2 - Mk3.

^^^ The thing with those integra’s is there probably going to hold their value cause of fan boys. Same with those old civics. In all honesty I’d suggest looking at the most boring unappealing cars in the market. Look for old domestic sedans or even station wagons. No one wants a wagon since the SUV took over in the past 10 years. And since its a beater make sure its cert + e test cause the last thing u want to do is poor money into a beater. Look for old ass grand ams or something, just my 2 cents though…

trucks.

like a tj or a trooper or somthing small and 4x4, tonnns of funn and rwd. if your luckey you can find one thats 5speed to like i did

ya guys, honestly I’ll go domestic as long as the insurance, gas mileage(SUV’s?), and reliability is up to par or better with a 240.

and to start off, the Price is RIght!:slight_smile:

i got a 92 golf gl diesel. 1000 as is. 1500 certified + e-test.

needs windshield and flex lines for safety. car has barely any rust. it’s actually in great shape for what it is. i’ll post some pictures and more info later

insurance = cheapo. fuel mileage. ha awesomeness!

Go buy an old tercel they can be had for liek 500 dollars if you do some browsing around scarboroough. cant doubt the toyota

word^

Try to avoid old v-dubs, they always have hidden electrical problems. The last thing you want is a beater with no heat, and coolant spilling out of the center console -_-"

Wanted to post this somewhere, figured this is a good place. Theres a beige 240sx coupe for sale at loan arranger (Kingston & Lawrence), 5 speed, DOHC, decent body, frame is meh, looks to have been welded but would make an awsome winter beater for the $499 they want for it. Someone pick it up.

search for a geo metro… killer on gas, insurance and everyone wants to be pimping in a metro…LOL

agreed. yet that is only on the gas. the diesels will go forever. and i can say that with full force because we have a customers that has rolled his odometer over. courier. and the car…surprisingly is not in bad shape. oil changes every 5 thousand. and the usual maintenance. check timing and new glow plugs every winter.

and they give amazing heat. the old vw’s didn’t have a big issue with coolant leaking everywhere. just the heads on the gas. the newer vws are horrid for coolant loss because everything is plastic.

i hate vw’s. i do. which is why im sellin my “supposed winter beater” i drove it for 2 days and friggin hated it. i never liked them. i’d pimp a geo metro over any vw any day. but thats just me. for someone that dosn;t car. this is a good car.

http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00903ys4.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00908cf0.jpg

89 civic four door coupe, about 400 bucks on kijiji and will last yearssssssssss
and the ones that are 400 dollars are mintish.

i had one. sucked ass for a winter car. lol. spun her around and smashed into a tree first big snow storm of 04 up close to forks of the credit.

then again i just started driving on the streets in full blown snow. w/e.
ffwd!

Really nice choices, I’ll start calling and looking at some winter beaters this coming week. Hopefully I can grab something by the end of this coming week!! :smiley:

I have a 95 golf i used last year it did well but this year i wont need one…its for sale!! lol

I’d say go for corolla - auto, and if you really want a 5spd, then Civic.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/cto/908951996.html

go for subarus, they are all wheel drive so they handle good in snow and bad conditions. And most are mechanically well.
Try to avoid fwd…awd ftw :slight_smile:

suzuki sidekick, baller ass jeep, funnest 4wd in snow ever, 5 speed is wicked on gas. I have one, and i look for it to snow cuz its so much funner to drive the thing. These things are always on sale for liek less then 1 grand cuz there old, and insurance is cheap cuz there not worth much.

Ford Tempo / Mercury Topaz

Best beaters. Everything is cheap and they last forever.

all these fail wheel drives…yuck
for me I LIVE AND DIE BY THE RWD!