Got hit in a parking lot while my car was parked. Is it still 50/50?

ALWAYS report…

Thats what the insurance companies tells you that they follow “100% not at fault rule” or “0 fault rule” but come renewal time or applying for new insurance they can sometimes stick it to you. Cover your asses. With a report the collision center or reporting officer usually determines fault, do not leave it to the insurance companies. If the other party reports and you didn’t depending on the other’s party wording on the report you could fuck yourself by not reporting. Again always cover your ass.

Reporting Collision = Police Station and they do not have fault determination rules. They only follow the HTA. I went in and they said yeah, all parking lot accidents are 50/50, which is obviously false.

My deductible was completely waived same day I put the claim in, and putting a not at fault claim doesn’t raise rates (as confirmed with my broker).

Also, because it was such a small impact the damages in parts was less than $1000 so a report couldn’t be made.

Noticed you were in Peel region so not sure how it works there but in Toronto/GTA we have collision reporting centers that deal with any collision including parking alot accidents. They take pics of the damage big or small and you fill in a report that a reporting officer looks over and signs.

“all parking lot accidents are 50/50, which is obviously false.” exactly what I mean by insurance being able to mess you up at will… I know people with multiple not at fault accidents but insurance deems them “high risk” because they “may” put themselves in these situations or unable to avoid these situations. Just saying they can and will hike up you insurance and you should always cover your butt in any way possible.

I guess its different in Peel with collision reporting but glad it worked out for you.

I got hit in a nofrills parking lot because I was waiting for people to clear the crosswalk and the truck behind me thought I was letting a passenger out and proceeded to pass me. She laughed because her truck had a scuff on the bumper, while my upper control arm and driver side fender looked like a disaster, and in my case it would have definitely been 50/50. Insurance is all BS, we just pay an arm and a leg for no coverage, I don’t understand why we even PAY insurance, or when someone will do something about this…

Same week someone backed into my parked car.

GL with yours.