Who's at fault???

Just had my '98 240 fixed in October for scratches on my hood, now this happens.

I was in a left hand lane of a two lane road (getting off of Hwy. 400 and Hwy. 7), all traffic was stopped as the light was red. There was about two car lengths of space between myself and the car in front of me. The person behind me honked me to move up. I didn’t see the point as the light was red. He became irate and cut to the right, creating his own lane of traffic, basically driving between the dotted lines, and then cut in front of me.

At this point the light turns green and I begin to accelerate at a normal rate of speed. He slams on his brakes, causing me to slam on mine. I couldn’t stop in time and bumped into him. There was no damage to his vehicle but my hood is buckled and the paint is coming off. Who is at fault?

He’s stating he’s a lawyer yada yada and no matter if he slammed on his brakes on purpose, I am at fault no matter what since I rear ended him. He had minor scratches on his Lexus RX300. I didn’t want to go through insurance thinking it would go up so I agreed to give him cash to fix it. But since then I’ve talked to a police officer and my girlfriend, and they’re saying I shouldn’t give him any money at all since we’re both at fault. The cop even said he wouldn’t give the guy any money and just report it.

What would you guys do in this situation? Suck it up and tell the insurance company or give the guy the money even though he did a dick move and stopped short?

no cops called at the time = no proof, did u give insurance info? if not tell him to fuck off

ur always at fault legally if u hit someone no matter if hes a dick or not

Didn’t give him my insurance info and he didn’t give me his. Gave him my name and number. He took down my license number and I took his license as well. No police were called. No witnesses either.

wait a few days give him the runaround then tell him to go pound salt

uve got 48 hours (working days i believe???) to file a police report, if not hes got nothing and can go right ahead and call insurance but has no police report to back it up there fore… DENY DENY DENY DENY!!!

fucking rich people think they own the roads

^ agreed

yeah, if you rear-end someone you’re always at fault because through the eyes of the law, you were following too closely… weather hes a dick or not. if you were to go through insurance, you would defenitley end up with a higher rate. insurance companies dont care if it was your fault or not, if they see you’re getting into trouble or making marks on their radar regardless of who is at fault, they’ll fuck you over.

if i were you, i wouldn’t have let that asshole make you feel scared by saying hes a lawyer this and that, because he is probably just trying to scare you. he most likely did it on purpose too. i would have told him to fuck off because he clearly cut you off.

but if you already gave him money and all, with no proof or anything. i’d probably just forget about it. how much money you give him anyway?

I pray nobody does something like that to me. I would probably be in jail if that happened to me. I am not a big guy, but with the way I love my car and a lot of deep rooted anger towards these types, I may have just lost control and possibly given into the desire to smash his head off his windshield. Keeping it together when someone tries to abuse their power, authority, you, and the law is very difficult. Hats off to. staying level headed.

Also I never told you this but, if he files a police report and gives your name and number the station will call you to fill out an accident report. Go in, start filling it out, and then be like, “oh, I forgot something I need to fill it out, I will drop it off tomorrow.” then you tear up the paper and never come back (off police property). A loooot of cops will take the path of least resistance which means they will do absolutely fuck all and damn near anything to get out of work if it isn’t handing out bs tickets so they can sit in court and not do work. You never heard this from me, but I have seen it work in the past.

if you rear end someone its your fault. if there was a police on the scene you would of got your self a “following too close” or “careless”.

but hey ~ no one did a police report in this case tell him to go f off.

even his imaginary lawyer friend cant help him out with this since there is no police report :smiley:

actually

if someone is brake checking you and stops just to fuck with you, you are not at fault

but wait there’s more…

that person is, in fact, performing a stunt:

“stunt” includes any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:

… stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver’s sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,

now

if both of your stories were presented to the police, it will turn into a he said she said situation… impossible to prove either story.

so it’s hard to say which way the police would go in terms of laying charges, if they decide to lay any at all

but, if your story is true and not exaggerated, then the other driver should be hit with a stunt driving charge (although i’ve not yet heard of such a charge being handed out days after the fact)

“He’s stating he’s a lawyer yada yada and no matter if he slammed on his brakes on purpose,”

did this assclown ACTUALLY admit to stopping on purpose to fuck with you?

since you both left the scene without reporting anything to the police or to insurance, i would string the guy along as long as possible (tell him you’re trying to get money… blah blah blah) and then after a couple weeks tell him to fuck off

i agree with what mike said… especially though… the fact that it will be a he said she said…

i say avoid the whole issue and drag it on with the guy as long as possible… like months… he’ll forget about it if there is no damage to his car.

holy shit…

so he drove in 2 lanes to get ahead of you and then…

the preceding incident is his HTA infraction of driving in 2 lanes,.

plain and simple he should have never been in front of you…

and he is a lawyer… interested in calling the upper canada law society and informing them of this idividual’s disdain for HTA laws, and how they do not apply to him?

all I can think is you should have switched to TORONTO DRIVING MODE once you heard the horn… I always do.

Not that I’m for violent, illegal type things, but don’t you have any people that you know that are, or know any unsavory types that commit violent acts for money or favours?
I’d think that most if not all people know one or two guys that lead a rough life, and wouldn’t mind breaking a few knee caps if you slipped them $500 or something like that.

^hahaha,

I thought it was only 24hours to report an accident, then he can’t do shit about it. But seeing that hes a “lawyer” im sure he knows this…

u have his contact info oso contact him and tell u have the money in cash so he’ll come and u fuck his day right up

I know I don’t want to pay that douche any money out of my pocket since he was the one who cut me off then slammed on his brakes. I’d rather pay higher premiums than give that dude an nickel of my money. It’s the principal.

I haven’t filled out a police report yet but I can’t afford to fix the car myself right now, money is a little tight. If I do go through my insurance, I would have to go to a collision reporting center to fill out a report soon.

Although he honked me, cut me off than stopped short and slammed on his brakes, he never admitted to doing any of that. As soon as I hit him, he was on the phone with someone. I thought he was calling the police but I found out he just called the collision reporting center. He got out of the car and so did I. I yelled at him, asking why did he slam on his brakes? But he kept saying (while dialing his phone) that he was going to “teach me how to drive”. He kept repeating that he was going to teach me how to drive. He totally thought he didn’t do anything wrong and it was all my fault.

Now I’m the type of person that if I know I did something wrong, I will admit it. Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have left 2 car lengths ahead of me at the red light. But for him to say he’s “going to teach me how to drive?” That just pissed me right off.

dont pay him SHIT!! nothing is going to come of it… get your car fixed fast so there is nothing to be shown… after 48hrs dont worry about it, and if the man sped around you and brake checked you its his fault. He was careless driving that cause a TA

Do what others listed above.

Drag the shit on for a few weeks, get some buddies to slice his tires/break some headlamps so he has more to worry about then a few scratches, and tell him to eat a dick.

Fuck being a nice guy.

This is making my blood boil. I am a very calm person but this person embodies everything I really seem to hate. Someone could talk smack to my face ATM and it wouldn’t bother me anywhere near as much as this asshole. If I was the size of nitescream I would have turned green by now.