Got rid of my Lexus today...

…via Lemon Law buy-back. Not really sure what I’m going to replace it with yet. But it’s gone, and I have a nice big check on the way! :bigok:

-TJ

PS- yes I posted this in the wrong place, mods pls move.

SWEET…congrats

what exactly got it lemon lawed, and what type?

delete & move it urself asshole

x2

:goyou:

x2

those fucking lazy ass hippies from Cali are all fucked up.

Thanks! I’m really happy/lucky, sounds weird I know. But in this economy/market I would have taken a huge bath selling it private party. With lemon law they have to take back the car, pay off my loan, and reimburse me for every payment and DMV fee, as well as my down. They take out an adjustment for mileage but only up to the very first time the problem for which it’s getting bought back was reported.

It was a '06 IS250

http://pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33969&highlight=IS250

It had an idle issue, basically it’d hunt for idle a lot, in maybe a 200-300 rpm range. But every now and again it’d drop almost to a stall then surge back up hard/high enough to actually make the car buck. If you didn’t know it did that, and stay extra hard on the brakes at stops it would actually make the car jump forward. Clearly that’s a safety issue, which drops the requirement for lemon law in CA a lot. Regardless I think it would have qualified even for non-safety lemon law because it was in 5+ times for the issue, sometimes for a few days without resolution. It’s apparently a really common issue w/ '06-early '07 IS250s so Lexus really didn’t put up a fight. When I turned it in yesterday the service manager asked me what it was coming back for, I said “the idle issue” and he just said “yup, figured.”

I have a good friend who’s a master tech for Lexus. What he’s seen is that the direct injection on the IS250s means no fuel washed over the intake valves. In a regular setup that fuel actually cleans the valves, but this doesn’t happen on the 250 (IIRC the 350s are a combination of direct and conventional injection). Carbon builds up on the valves and actually causes them to not seal completely, which causes the idle issues etc. I actually noticed a significant loss in MPG too as the idle problem got worse. Definitely not good for a motor to be leaking compression back out the intake valves. Lexus has a bunch of band-aid type fixes (top end de-carbon, which was done on mine and only helped temporarily, new valve springs, new valves etc) but apparently nothing really fixes it on the '06-early '07s. I’m not sure what they changed for mid-'07+ and why they can’t just update the early cars with those parts, but honestly it works out much better for me that it’s gone this way.

Other than that the car had at least 4 recalls performed (fuel line issue, entire steering rack replaced, rear brake adjustment, and one other I forget) and about half a dozen TSBs (front brake pads twice, another rear brake thing, excessive white noise through stereo’s the auxiliary input, rear view mirror shake, and a few others).

Yup, imports are the best and a Toyota product will never break. Right.

I guess it’s doing just fine here.

-TJ

hmm…other than the excessive brake dust on the front wheels of mine which was easily taken care of by the TSB for it, i have not 1 single complaint with my IS250. granted it’s an 08, and only has 21000 on it now, i still love the car though.

Yeah, basically everything that has gone wrong with mine has been fixed and is not an issue in the mid-'07s and up. One of my housemates has a '07 w/ about 20k miles on it and zero issues. I actually really did like this car. It’s fun, the interior and nav are very nice (cooled seats FTW), got great gas mileage before it started having issues, I think they look good (especially when I had the 19"s on it) etc. I AutoXed it a few times and stomped a lot of cars I “shouldn’t beat” too. Honestly, if I still had my old job where I did a lot of driving and needed to take clients around occasionally I’d actually think pretty seriously about an '08/9 (maybe move up to the 350 too). With my current job I fly for business a ton, and get a towncar to/from the airport so I really don’t need another “nice” car.

-TJ

a friend of Mine has a 07/08 and hers allready needed the motor broken down and cylinders replaced

do you have a list of cars you are going to look into now

And your surprised why? You bought a badged toyota

Too much naaaaaaaawz?

I’m ALL over the place on that one. As mentioned before I travel a LOT for work, and don’t use my own vehicles when I do so the “smart” move would be a cheap beater. However, more expensive stuff I’m considering are Range Rover Sports, new Camaros, maybe a E39 M5, hell I don’t know. In the lower price range E36 M3s, 3rd Gen 4Runners (or similar year Tacos) IDK. And in the super cheap beater category 1st Gen 4Runners, ex-cop Crown Vics (hahaha) and whatever I stumble upon. I know, Range Rover Sport and cop Crown Vics pretty broad range there, I have no idea what I want to do.

AFAIK no Toyota is built on the 2IS platform, but yes obvioulsy Toyota is the parent corporation. However, I’ve had a few 'yotas and loved those, so it was a bit surprising. It was a great car in a lot of ways, and was perfect for my old job. If I could have it’s interior and Navi in the Z06 that’d be great. But it had issues, didn’t fit my job anymore, and was just never really “me” so I’m glad it’s gone.

-TJ

Range.

/thread

TJ,

you boohoo about ‘imports’ being junk and in the same thread are saying your looking at toyota 4 runners, range rovers and BMW’s :rofl:

what gives?

Seriously, everybody is reading a lot into my posts that just isn’t there. I simply stated the facts that the car had a reoccurring issue that Lexus could not fix, and as such it was repurchased under Lemon Law.

I also pointed out that Toyota products could in fact have issues too. In fact, mine had a lot, one of which couldn’t get fixed. That is not “boo-hooing” that is just reality.

Sure, I’d buy a Range or BMW, but I’d never ever buy any Range w/o an extended warranty, and the only BMW I’d buy w/o one is an E36 M3 because the cars/parts are cheap but I’d never get a E39 M5 or anything like that w/o one. I understand cars break, my Z06 does too. I just want them to be able to be fixed.

Every time I had my Lexus in I was treated like a King and to my pick of loaners, they worked around my schedule, and would even pickup my car and drop off the loaner when necessary. That makes it pretty easy to over-look it going in for repairs IF they ever could have fixed it, but they could not.

I am a realist, and I think a lot of people simply refuse to face that imports, Toyota (and Honda) in particular can have issues.

-TJ

hrm surprising… everyone on the club lexus forums loves these cars.

And everybody on Corvette Forum loves Corvettes… but do they have problems too? Sure.

Again, it’s an extremely well-known, common problem.

-TJ

that’s all your wrote, i just thought it was funny to say that then comment on the cars you’re looking into, which are a high percentage of imports.

:dunno: best of luck… i personally woudln’t get an m3, too slow but then again if it’s replacing a lexus :kekegay: