Got to try out the Remington today

I went up to my dad’s camp / property with him today to help him work on it and to get a little shooting in. I got to try out the new Remington 700 and I got to shoot my old mossberg 20ga from when I was a kid. It all made for a pretty good day. The sight on the 30-06 walked right in beautifully. I still have to make a few minor adjustments, but over-all it should be pretty good. I also have a bit of practicing to do, but over-all, for not shooting a gun in over 6 years or so, the grouping wasn’t too bad… mostly just a couple strays here and there where I would either screw up my breathing or pull too hard.
This was at 50 yards. I still have to move it about 3/4" to the left, but I’m going to leave the up/down for now until I can get it out to 100yards. I have a feeling I should be almost perfect by 100 yards.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/offroadzj/Shooting.jpg

No pics of the shotgun shots, that was mostly just fun. Used an empty bottle as a “clay” target. Missed the first throw, barely grazed it the second throw, then hid it square on the third (all being thrown by my dad). Then I decided to give the old throw it yourself, raise gun, shoot and somehow actually still managed to hit it… not 100% dead on, but enough to change the course of the bottle and leave a few plastic shavings to float back to the ground… lol.

Over-all it was a great day. Possibly heading back out there tomorrow for some more fun.

The only issue I am having, and I never even thought about it til after I got a couple rounds down, is that the “sweet spot” in my shoulder just happens be directly where I have a previous injury and its causing enough discomfort that I notice myself inadvertently flinching once in a while. Usually I catch myself and reset my breath, but other times I end up pulling and causing a stray. I may have to try a different recoil setup or do something with my shoulder to add a little extra padding… which I hate to have to do, but if it creates a better shot than so be it.

Thought this was another ball shaving content thread. lol

You could try a shooting jacket with some padding in the shoulder.

this

Or buy a Limb Saver from Zacks and soften up the blow of the rifle a good amount. You’d be amazed how well those work for the $35 they cost.

Its got the upgrade supercell pad on it already. Similar to a bolt on limbsaver. The limbsaver is going to add another 2 inches to the length of pull. I can vouch that the gun does kick like a mule. I get a shooting jacket or shooting pad to spread the shock over the area instead of the one spot on your shoulder.

Yea, I know it won’t take much. For a few of the shots I actually just threw my sweatshirt on (a thick dickies) and folded it once over right at my shoulder and it helped quite a bit. If it wasn’t for the positioning (right on my bad spot) I’d be fine. I did a couple shots where the butt was pulled into my chest a bit more and it felt fine… but my body positioning was so far off that the shots were going everywhere. lol. I might pick up one of those PACK pads… they seem like they might just do the trick. If not, then I’ll go with the jacket.