GPS/scangauge built into dash

pretty much finished it up tonight. Just need to clean up some hot glue and get a new momentary switch. The one my brother gave me was a momentary off and I need a momentary on. Pics tomorrow.

I think it turned out pretty good, and the scanguage II is awesome.

Everything is complete. I extended the speaker to behind my gauge cluster plastic. Soldered in a couple jumpers to the stock switch and glued everything in.
The glue job around the dash piece sucks so that’s going to get redone. I used a super hot melt gun to put everything in, but when I did the black piece I didn’t hold it down long enough so it shifted and didn’t seal right.
I also have to get a new switch because the one my brother gave me was a constant on and I need constant off to avoid sending the unit into the boot up screen.

BTW this basically how it looked before

http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/34/58/f129_1.JPG

Its not bad, clean up the glue and it will be a lot better.

So what are you going to do now, so that it doesn’t look like crap around the opening?

reglue it… it looked fine before the glue came apart from still being gooey

thanks… yeah glue will be cleaned up and redone soon

thanks… yeah glue will be cleaned up and redone soon

cool idea, i usually hold my gps in my lap :frowning:

im prob gonna do the same thing but with gauges

instead of hot glue use two part epoxy, this isnt a arts and crafts project…

looks good so far…

it wasn’t a craft gun. its a different kind of glue than normal. its what i was told to use by my neighbor who owns a custom audio shop.
thanks for the tip though

What did you do about the heating vents? I assume it’s still dumping air behind the unit.

stuffed some filler(towel) in the hole, then sealed it with aluminum duct tape. I wouldn’t want 90+ degree heat dumping into my head unit, gps, and scangauge.

It actually made my defroster work a lot better because there was always a little heat going through the dash vents even when I had it on “defrost” only

arent you worried bout a possible melting of the towels? Possibly a fire? I’d do something like this as well, but i have 3 rigs i cruise on occasion and wouldnt wanna permanatly install my gps, i guess i could buy 2 more GPSs’. Nice job though, just make the finished work look good, i would have made tabs on yer abs pieces and screwed them in the back of the panel(inside the ducts)

I’m not really worried about the towel melting since it is 100% cotton. And fire is unlikely. The flashpoint of regular cotton is 400 degrees. If the vents got that hot they would melt the plastic.

The hole is rounded so I had to curve it around the opening. This just made more sense and it looks good now. I have two of these units so I wasn’t worried. I have the exact same unit for my motorcycle.

Hmmm…

Odd to block the stock vents, but the install would look quite nice if the edges werent a mess.

A lot of guys cover them when they smooth the dash. I hate the dash vents anyways. I use defrost/floor. They aren’t messed up anymore. I’ll get some pics up soon.