GPS/scangauge built into dash

So this is my spring break project. I’m removing the two center heating vents and installing a gps and scan gauge II in their place. If you have any comments or concerns please let me know before I start cutting the plastic sheets.
I purchased a usb charger for the GPS so that I can use the USB cord to update the maps and other stuff on it via my laptop.

The only problem I’ve run into was that the gps has a push button on/off swith on top. I’m going to solder in a momentarty switch to the panel to turn it on and off.

I’m also upgrading the speaker. I’m not sure if it will be in the dash(in view), or under the dash panel somewhere.

Assuming that the plastic comes in this week I’m going to finish this little project next week.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/BlackoutYJ/untitled.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/hwy836/Tools/ABSGAL.jpg
http://scangauge.com/products/sg2photos/images/IMG_2006.jpg
http://cjrailson.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/tomtom-one-xl.jpg

lol at the pics. Turn Macro on before you take any more

Are you referring to the blur? My girlfriends camera sucks and my mother has mine. When I switched it to macro it wouldn’t focus.

I’ll take some pics with my camera when I get it back. i figured quality doesn’t matter, they are just pics of a tomtom minus shell

If anyone knows the best way to cut this stuff please let me know. I plan on using a dremel but its going to probably suck.

somewhat. People on here will give you major shit over it.

It would not focus because you were holding the camera too close.
Hold it further away and use the ZOOM for a closeup.

tried that… like I said, camera sucks. I’ll take better ones with mine

Scoring the ABS with a good utility knife, I’ve found, is the best way to cut it. If you use a dremel it will mostly melt it’s way through and then your left with a real rough edge.

Not sure if it’s going to work in the dash like that, you need a view of the sky for the antenna to catch satellite info.

The best way to cut the plastic is a band saw, then smooth it with a fine grit beltsander with medium speed and low pressure.

How are you planning to actually support everything? Just wedge it in place? Hope not.

you should wire the on/off to your ignition

It would fry the GPS if I just hard wired the switch to ignition. It requires a momentary completed circuit. I’m sure there are ways to do it, but this is how I feel I can safely do it. Any ideas how to run it via ignition?I hadn’t planned on hard wiring the unit to power because I need to be able to update via the Usb/power wire. I could hard wire into the battery wires but this way is much easier and the location of my auxillery power is way under the dash(out of plain sight)

Again, any ideas would help

the amount of plastic between the antenna and sky will be thinner than that of the gps shell. I’ve already tested the unit as far under the dash as possible, and have seen this exact unit installed in dashes. If worst comes to worse i’ll run the antenna to the top of the dash but that shouldn’t be necessary.

I thought of a band saw, but I need to cut rectangular interior holes.

I’m going to glue the components in. I considered plastic welding in the scangauge, but the right glue should do the job. The gps has a metal frame that has tabs to keep it from popping out into the cab, I’m going to modify the shell to use to keep everything in

is that the abs off ebay?

Wat ??? i just got a migraine from reading that …

Just get the pig tail cig lighter socket and hook it up to an ignition source

yeah, I just got it today. It was exactly what I was looking for and comes with score lines on the back, that appear to match perfectly to my desired cuts.

I can get those sheets if ya need them

SCROLLSAW

Every time the unit turns off it requires the button to be pressed. The unit will always already have power, but still requires to be powered up via the momentary switch. unless you know a way to bypass the switch. I’ve searched the internet and thats the only way I’ve seen to power these units up

I thought it but didn’t post. I’m going to table mount my jigsaw. luckily this plastic has score lines exactly where I need them.