Graphic design field

Is anyone on the forums in the graphic design/interactive multimedia career field, or have you been?

If so, can you either post what it was like, or PM me so we can discuss a few things.
I am considering it for a future career, thanks.

BTW, getting a job at Office Depot in the print/copy center, where i get to edit people photos, cropping red-eye ect., so I think I’m off to atleast a little start!

pm sent

Thank you, reply sent.

don’t buy a mac.

i’ve been in the design field for like 4 years now. graduated from school in 02. its cool i guess. im not quite making the money i want to yet, but it’ll come. gotta get experience and show what you can do and the opportunites will come, atleast i hope so. pm me if i can help you out in any way.

The only work like that i have done is on a Mac… but if i had a choice i would say PC>Mac

Ya, the field isn’t bad. I enjoy what I get to do most days. I graduated in 01, started a job a couple months later where I worked for almost 2 yrs. I bought equipment from that company (computer/plotter/etc.), so I could do my own graphics/banners/etc. on the side. Then I got away from the field for a little while and got back into it within the last couple years where I work at now. Like smokey said I’m not thrilled with what I’m making either. My biggest complaint would be that when I was job searching I struggled to find something in the Pgh area with good pay/benefits/job title/etc. All of the good jobs seemed to be in the bigger cities NY, Phili, cities in Cali, etc. I’m sure this goes for almost all job fields tho. I really feel that good networking will help you in the long run. GL with whatever you decide to do.

:op:

ps. i currently goto Ai of pittsburgh for Interactive Media Design

I have been working in the field for 5 years now. I have worked for two major places!

PM’s sent, thanks for the help guys.

I’ve used a mac probably twice in my life, once to make a 3 minute video clip and once to put some pictures together in a ghetto slideshow…so I don’t have much of an opinion on the rest of it.

I think for design macs are the way to go IMO. But i guess its up to the designer. Even though most use macs.

Most places you will see use Mac’s. Because most printers use mac’s. I can use both and over the years i prefer a mac. Its funny i have a mac at work but a pc at home. its just the way it goes.

been a printer for 11 years rarely use a mac .printing is a decent field you can be creative and still supply customers with a useful product…
everything is printed in one way or another. will be teaching a basics workshop…digital prepress/press operation… at iadt next term (pending funding) it will be free if your interested

Oh for those people wanting to learn the other end of design i will say this is a good thing to have in your background. Some people will say its bitch work but in my case i call it great job security! I know both ends of design. Lots of places look to see if you know printing skills plus design skills!

jon, i was just kidding about the mac because my hatred for them is well known… don’t buy into any BS that anything is better than something else… as steelcitysix said… printers are hardware, which use machine code, which means that anything CAN interface with it… regardless, hit me up if you want to know why macs fall short :kekegay:

it’s a good field… you need talent, to work hard and networking… some of these guys are talented and it’s sad to hear they aren’t happy with the income (like smokey for example)… but if it makes you happy to do, then F it!

exactly

Mac’s won’t suck till I find a reason for them to, haha. I need to try that out, along with running Linux on something, since I have heard that is so much better. Also can’t wait to get my hands on Windows Vista, heard it’s a lot better then XP.

Anyways, I’m trying to find something that I can be happy doing EVERY day, along with something so I have the money to do what I want in life. It’s going to take a while to decide I’m sure, but thanks for the help everyone. Any opinions are appreciated.

I worked in a pretty big ad agency downtown and let me tell you, at this particular company, everyone was underpaid, treated like shit with insane work hours, and just generally sucked. I was a computer guy, but the whole creative department would generally get shit upon daily. Account managers would come up and say “oh, the client wanted this re-worded, and they don’t think this red is quite the one they want”. Then they would say, I need this by the end of the day.

Seemed kind of like sell-out work (retouching packaging, nothing that I would consider super creative), but one of the only friends I still have from there put it this way… “my other friends are all telemarketers because they wanted more creative jobs. At least I’m still working in the art field”.

Might be better elsewhere, but I’ve heard similar storied from people in houston and austin.

I’m deliberating between Graphic design, Automotive, and either computer repair/diagnostic, or networking. I’m not sure :crying:…tough choice to decide the rest of my life.

You don’t need to decide the resdt of your life… you just need to find a few things you like to do, and a few things you are good at and incorporate them with eachother. You have always liked fucking around on computers… why don’t you look into the millions of fields within that industry.

Automotive probably won’t be for you in the end because you don’t ‘like’ to get dirty everyday… and graphic design probably isn’t for you because of the reasons we have already talked about…

Just take your time finding something- then once you do stick with it. :slight_smile: You’ll be fine.