Hmmm...Mac or PC

So I’m wondering, with all the hype between Mac and PC I wonder what’s the better choice…I’m thinking of switching my laptop next year and I dunno whether to go back to pc or jump on the bandwagon for mac, majority of the applications i’ll be using are Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Microsoft Office…so I’m wondering what would be the better choice and value…

Everything that runs Vista Right now sucks ass. My Next PC will be a Mac. If I was on a budget I would find something that you could reload XP back onto. That’s what I have done and XP is way more stable than Vista.

YOu are doing Graphic Design work, get VERY familar with a MAC. Most Studios in Edmonton run only Macs. They are far superior than any PC when multi tasking between Adobe Apps. And if you are worried about a Micro Office app, you can get NeoOffice for free, it is a clone of Micro Office but for Macs. All other Apps, I can help you out with…cough freecough

Trust me, it will be money well spent while you are going to College. Don’t cheap out. If you want to take a peek at Macs visit the Apple Store in West Ed. They are very nice people that can help you out. Or you can come by my house and I can give you a demo of the Mac world through my 24" iMac. She’s a beaute!!!

hahahaha MACs … lol

What’s so funny about Macs? Have you ever used one?

As Dennis alluded to, it really depends on your uses. If it’s mostly graphics and design, the Macs definitely have the edge. For programming, database development, or general use in a traditional (non-graphic-design) corporate environment, Windows machines still have the edge (excluding Linux for some server applications).

My buddy bought a MAC and said he will never go back to a traditional PC. He did say that the office applications suck, but they work well enough to get him by when he works on work projects at home. But then again thats Microsoft shit on a MAC. lol

I’m a graphic designer enrolled in the Graphics Communications program this year at NAIT. I use InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Office (and so do my Profs) but even if I didn’t, I would still run the MAC over PC for it’s reliability and ease of use. If you are buying a computer primarily for design, I’m not sure why there’s even a question. For the last 18 years or more, MAC has utterly dominated PC in the graphic arts domain. And unless you favor Corel for whatever reason or have a need to waste your time playing Warcraft 4 hours a day, get a MAC.

While we’re on the subject, here’s the model I’ll recommend.
iMac 24" with 4GB RAM (either processor)

If you do page layout, you will find that being able to have 2 full pages on screen with open tool menus, will be a godsend. The 4GB Ram suggestion applies to PC users as well. There’s too many guys I know (mostly PC users strangely enough) running 1 GB or less of RAM and complaining that their computer is too slow. Go figure.

And no bloody laptops!

I use Macs at home and work and hate when I have to touch a PC. Macs are much more user friendly. Once you get used to the keyboard shortcuts and all the time-saving quirks, you’ll never want to go back.

Reliability is brought up a lot. While it is true Macs are very reliable, you have to remember they aren’t invincible. I had a hard drive fail on me a few weeks ago, but the results were much less disastrous than my PC crash experiences. If your OS fails, you can reinstall the OS but it will archive everything on the comp, so when it is reinstalled, every program and document is where it was before the crash, rather than being wiped free like on a PC. When my Mac crashed, there were a few documents and photos I hadn’t backed up. But I was able to connect it to another Mac via Firewire and copy everything over before replacing the HD.

I hope to never have to touch a PC again.

I have a 24" iMac with 4Gb it’s awesome but I would like to have another screen. Hopefully next spring I will have one. I like dual screens more than working on one. The only thing that bothers me is that when each program is launched it is expanded to the size of the screen and when multi tasking it becomes a PITA. I could use the “spaces” feature, but I personally don’t like it that much.

I’m starting to lean towards Mac now, so far I’m really impressed with the reliability of the Macs by just playing with them at school so I guess I gotta’ start savin’ up or if anyone wants to trade lol

Look at Westworld Computers, they sell used Macs for decent prices. Or check online, I think somebody was selling their Macbook in here.

Just leaning? lol it’s that or vista… Please don’t make me hit you lol

If you’re at school, buy one at school. The Apple Store and Westworld also have a student pricing as well. You might save a couple hundred bucks on your computer. I did, plus I got a free iPod Nano and a Canon printer.

NAIT Techstore also sells Adobe Design Suite Premium for $349 ($779 at Apple Store, $589 at Westworld and over $2000 if your not a student). That’s full versions of Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, Dream Weaver, Fireworks, Bridge, and Flash. Microsoft Office full is only $149 as well. I’m pretty sure you only need a student ID card from a post secondary institution to shop at NAIT.

Might as well save a couple of bucks if your a student.

P.S. The dual monitor suggestion is great too but if you’re talking about a budget, you may want to wait on that.

Dual monitors are for ballerz only :smiley: