GREDDY BOV Tuning is screwed up(literaly)..

ok, bought a used greddy type rs BOV i think off 1st-try. I put it on and the screw was untightened on top 3/4 of the way. Drove the car and it fluttered A LOT! So a few people on honda-tech told me to tighten the screw, its too loose. So I tighten the screw(clockwise) and is gets even worse. Now you would think this would increase spring tension but I guess not. What I did is opened(unscrewed) it a bit past where it was when I got it and it seems better…some have told me to let the car idle and go counterclockwise till you feel air coming from the discharge hole at idle…any tips here? I kind of have a woosh now but I still get a lot of butterflys, and i thought air coming from the BOV during idle is bad. Oh yea, when it “flutters” it is fluttering air through my HKS mushroom filter on the intake side of the turbo, not at the BOV, I forget what that is called when the air goes back, but I know its not good.
Is that screw I am adjusting a vaccum adjustment or spring?
Should I connect the second vaccum port on the BOV? I don’t understand what it does, keeps boost through shifts or something.?
anyone close to north hills or 1st try that would want to help?

sounds like a vac problem… check for leaks?

not a vac problem

:dunno: then

I think the “flutter” you are hearing is compessor surge from when you let off the throttle (thus closing the throttle plate) and the BOV not opening. That screw on top should be for adjusting the pressure it takes to open the BOV and release pressure. The vacuum line going to the BOV is “activated” by vacuum present in the intake manifold, which occurs when the throttle body is closed (max vac).

So basically, sounds like you had the screw too tight to start with, tightened it way too much, loosed it closer to where it should be, and now need to back it off a bit more. That screw should be adjusting the spring pressure on the BOV (higher pressure needed to keep it shut during high boost). Just make sure there is a nut on the base of the screw to lock it tight once adjusted as otherwise the screw will vibrate loose and fall out.

thanks…i got it worked out retty decent now…yea that compressor surge is some nasty shit. The car feels great and I am more competant now w/ the FMIC and Greddy BOV…15 minutes more and i’ll have it perfect. Thanks again

P.S. does it matter if there is air coming from the BOV at idle, I have heard it doesn’t matter…but soem people tell you to adjust it, just to where it start to do that.

yes it is compressor surge , i have that valve on the evo even running 22psi i have it nearly all the way loose other wise it will surge