Grinding Gears?

Hey i recently purchased an s14 with the money i got by selling my rx7 FC to a good friend. i just have a question about the tranny of the 240. Say i would be cruzing at around 50km/h and a red light comes up and i want to get into first gear because i think it will turn green soon. So hit the clutch and disengage and go into first. Note: while on the clutch fully. Doing so i feel my gears grinding and im not sure if that is normal. Because i have done this many times on mah rx7 and the most you would hear would be the transmission whinning. So what is up with these grinding gears? Is the 240sx have a totally different setup than the FC?

no syncro on first gear. i just come to a stop then put it in gear. some people put it in neutral, revmatch, then put it in first.

yeah its difficult to put it in to 1st while your moving unless your going to rev match, (dont really need to put it in neutral for any reason to actually make it work, but it would be ideal if you did). You’ll have to force it in (thats where the grinding is coming from) it wont slide in nicely until around 15klm or so where just the idle of the motor will be sort of an automatic rev match. (or something…? hehe)

Production car trannys are not meant to be put into first unless the car is at a full stop. Don’t do it .

even if im rolling at around 20-15km…it will still grind a bit…it will only go in at like 5km…but my rx7 will go in any gear and no grinding noise will occur. its not that i do it on purpose but i did it by accident and now am comparing why the rx7 can do it without grinding but the 240 cant.

no idea whats up with the rx7, but its normal, i said 10-15klm i think, but it may be even lower… you really shouldnt be downshifting in to first while your rolling

like alex said, no synchros so unless your going to rev match you’ll be fucking up your tranny nice and quick.

-J

nice myth.

How is that a myth??

I think that is something that should be on Mythbusters. Myth busted? Plausible? Confirmed? lol

Why would you want to go into 1st gear unless your stopped anyway? Tranys aren’t for stopping, thats what brakes are for.

its so you can use your vtec to slow down, which induces a reverse vtec state that causes you to travel back in time so you can start using your brakes instead and never screw up your tranny in the first place.

hahaha all these posts make me laugh. No i dont shift down to 1st. But say if i think the red light will turn green b4 i stop…but it would be at around 15km so i wanna start off at first gear. or sometiems its just by mistake tht i put it into 1st…so when it turns green im ready in 1st. i don’t use 1st to gear down or watever…just by mistake i found this out. i do not do this usually. couple times mistake and made me wonder. so i tried on the rx7 and nothing grinded. thats all…no vtec involved here lol

yeah, I downshift 1st, for speed scrubbin’

but 1st tops out around 50km… so I don’t downshift into first till 25-30km, it tkaes a firm yet gentle hand…