Transmission Grind

hey guys i have a stock ka24de, i’ve been experiencing little grindage when shifting to second gear i assumed it was the trans. oil as it had not been changed in awhile. i flushed the fluid today put reg. 80w90 gear oil and still its the same thing. Also its difficult to shift into first from 2nd when the car is rolling slowly ie 10km at light. Are these symptoms of a shifter bushings? Please dont tell me my trans is fucked lol, Its like i can feel it switching the gear and its a little bump/grind feel in the shifter

hows the free play in the clutch? fluid level…and the fluid it self.

Might need a clutch.

10km/h is still quite fast for first gear down shift imo.

No shifter bushings on the nissans besides the rubber insulator on the bottom of the shifter. I highly doubt that is broken.

Edit - plastic not rubber.

How many K’s on the tranny? I’d say what your experiencing is normal for the age of the vehicle. You’re lucky to get a 1st gear down shift at 10km/h

yea my tranny was pretty good and i still never could down shift to first year

That’s pretty fast for getting into 1st I’d say. I’ve never been able to get into 1st unless I was almost at a stop.

If you’re not having any grinds going 1st -> 2nd and so on I think you’re okay.

well i kinda over exaggerated that i guess at 10km/h but when the cars not even moving and i put it in 1st theres like a hesitation and feels like two bumps are hitting the shifter, could it be the synchros ? 87s15 the clutch is ok. clutch bearing makes noise tho, clutch fluid is topped but very old ?

Is it possible you put regular 80w90 gl5 and not the required gl4?

This is a common mistake and it MAY ruin gearboxes.

I recommend:

a) check the fluid you put in
b) try mobil synthetic atf, OR gm syncromesh. both of these are ALOT more viscous than gear oil and lubricate easier.
c) if that doesnt help, take it to a tranny shop. most places (like mr. transmission) do free inspections and can quite quickly diagnose by driving it.

i dont think i can even go to first from 2nd… well i tried and its too stiff and cant go in so i just forgot about it…

Don’t take it to Mister Trans… I took my s14 there when i first got it… at the time I didn’t realize that there is no synchro for first…so I thought there was a problem with the tranny…You would think that Mister Transmission would know something like that. Their free inspection entails a joy ride around the block whereby the confirm that, YES there is grinding going into first…NO SHIT> Anyway, they wanted 500 bucks just to drop it and open it up… then extra for possible parts and time spent doing the repair. F’n BS.

you got to rev match to downshift to 1st at that speed,bad practice anyway.use redline mtl in your high mileage tranny,n granny shift to 2nd

buy my KA tranny 150 it’s yours.

I got redline mt90 in mine and I still get the occasional grind -my consensus is that it happens when the temp changes drastically.

I’ve been thinking of switching to GM Synchromesh since I’ve heard good stories in relation to grinds. Try switching out the fluid if it is old to GM Synchromesh.

Good luck

where can i find redline gear oil locally? also do all gm dealers have the GM Synchromesh in gl4 ?

synchromesh isnt a gear oil, in the conventional sense

it just comes in synchromesh.

all gm dealers should have it. i believe its like $6 a litre.

When I was looking for Redline MT90, I was told to check out Precision Tuning Motorsport

Precision Tuning Motorsport
2901 Steeles Ave West
North York

I didn’t end up buying it there cause I just got it through Sasha (SG) when I was getting some work done.

FYI

Your general street car transmission is NOT designed for engaging first gear with the tires moving… which is why its difficult. Don’t do it. Wait until the car is stopped then pop it into first.

is this gm synchromesh good thru winter as well ? and is it still 75w90 ?

For me, there’s absolutely no resistance when I’m pressing the brake and slowing down to a stop. I checked the speed today, I could pop it into first at just over 20km/h, while slowing down in second. I obviously don’t release the clutch until I have come to a complete stop or whenever I need to get going again.

Otherwise I have to rev match to get it into first, which I rarely do.

When shifting to 2nd when it’s really cold in the morning, I get a little grind.

I have a lot of dead play in the clutch pedal, and the grabbing point is very close to the top of the pedal’s stroke. Could bleeding the system help? It didn’t used to be like this a couple of months ago, when I first did the 5 spd. swap.

i also have the same symptoms as AhmadG has posted above ^^

try bleeding. I still think you need a clutch. or your free play is mal-adjusted.