grinding on a grand am

so my frend calls me up and asks me if i know how to change a wheel bearing on a 02 grand am gt…i say yea…i go for a ride…grinding comming from the driver side front, gets quiet when you turn right…louder when straight and left…dealership told her it was the wheel bearing, and it was the same noise my car made when my wheel bearing went, so i replace it yesterday, and its still doing the same noise…only thing i can think of is that its a bearing in the tranny. fosucinprogress and i took the car for a ride…listend to see if it was a rear bearing or the passenger side. its neither, and its def not a cvjoint,which leads us to bleev its in the tranny…not to mention the tranny is on the driver side…seeing if anyone can chime in and give someideas of what to check out and what it may be

I see that you drove it to check the other side wheel bearing, but did you check to feel if it was rough by hand?

put it up in the air and do it… find out where the noise is coming from.

Make sure when you turn the wheel it doesn’t hit the jackstands

best way to tell…well one that i know of is to get teh wheel in the air…put ur hand on the spring and spin the wheel…if u get some good vibrations…HA HAA…ur bearing is bad…sometimes those are tricky they sound li ke its form one side but its really the other

but the noise is DEF from the driverside…the old bearing didnt have play but it did have some grindy feeling to it when i spun it by hand after i took it off…but ill check the other wheels like you guys said…thanks

grand am"s with the 16 in rims had a prob with the tire “walking” on the rim. its more of a squalking noise while turning

amanda’s car is the suck

Put it up on jackstands and start it up and put it in gear. See if you can track the noise that way. If its a tranny noise related problem you might be able to hear it. If its suspension or steering related, you probably won’t hear anything.

Sounds like the right bearing in that description.
When you turn left, the outside (right wheel) has to turn faster, and the left goes slower.
Put it up on jack stands like everyone said, you should be able to see which side it’s comming from, its usually not the tranny.

I used to nose-slide ad 50-50 the rear bumper on my 89 celebriy. it was hot.

Tomm beat me to it, if it has the Eagle RS-As then there is a bulletin for this problem you should hear the sound at lower speeds more so than highway speeds. You may need new tires. Try swapping the fronts for the rears it may help and it may not.

grand am’s are notorious for going through wheels bearings…I’ve owned two of them, so I have had a little experience with them…this may not be related to the problem, but just out of curiousity, how many miles are on the car? The noise on mine started right around the time I put my air intake in, so I just figured all the noise was coming from the intake…well, as it turned out, when I took my air intake out to sell the car, it was still making the horrible grinding very loud obnoxious noise that sounded like road noise from badly worn tires…sounds kinda dumb, but if the noise is coming from the driver’s side, u might wanna look at the passenger side…same thing happened to me…I coulda sworn it was the right wheel bearing, but when I had it checked out and replaced it ended up being the left one…I’ll post on a grand am forum and see what people tell me

hmmm… may want to check the other side. wheel bearings can be wierd like that.

I swore up and down that my front passengers side wheel bearning was going on my tbird, but as it turns out, it was the total opposite side that was bad.

good luck

i have a 03 GA GT and its the biggest POS ive ever owned. car makes ALL kinds of noises.

brin g it to me illput it up and take a look

based on the description it sounds like the left bearing

the bulltin carnut is talking about is a noise at like 5mph turning, it sounds like brake pad noise

leaves me to wonder, how is the tire wear? did she just have them rotated? are they all chopped and cupped?

ha, actualy now that I looked at this again, you did the wrong side, they get quiet when unloaded. Just put the one you took out in the other side if you didn’t cut the speed sensor