Grrrrrr... renting rant

Ok, so around the end of June I was having some money problems. I was late on my rent for that month, and let them know that it was going to be late, to which they said “thats fine, thanks for letting us know”.

fast forward a week… I get home from work (about to walk over to the main building to pay that months past due rent) to find a letter taped to my door basically stating that I either had to pay them both months rent (this was very early july) IN FULL, which was just under 1500.00, in 3 days or they were going to bring me to court and evict me.

They next day (7-12-06), I scrape it all together (which fucked me, but still better than being homeless and having to deal with legal BS) and ran up there with a check from the bank. They said all was good and away I went.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago… I get a letter in the mail asking if I would like to renew my lease, and they were going to up my rent another 100.00 m/o and on top of that, increase the “heating surcharge” (which is “supposed to be FREE with the rent”). I gave them a formal letter saying that I do not wish to renew the lease and just to let me know if they needed anything else from me.

well… Today I go home for lunch and find a letter from the complex sitting in my mailbox saying that I owe them 130.00 for court fees from getting evicted… :wtf:. I called 'em up and ask why I was getting charged this $$$ when we were supposed to be “all good” (shit, some of the dates for “supposed” lawyer fee’s were AFTER I paid them… and I have a recipt signed by them prooving this). I get the run around and they tell me that they’ll call me back. I explain that I need to go back to work and for them to just leave a message.

As it turns out, they said that they adjusted the amount I owe according to the dates (figures) and that I now owe them 100.00. I have yet to talk back with her… but I’ll be damned if their gonna steal this from me. Granted… yes, I guess I am responsible, but for christs sake… I called them to let them know I was going to be late with the hopes of this shit NOT happening. It’s not like I am a trouble maker nor do I ever give them any problems.

I just want to know if their trying to “stick it to me” for not renewing… I mean, that was over 2 months ago and this is the first time I’m hearing about it? That just seems like total bullshit. It’s not even the money that bugs me… it’s just the principle of the thing.

Well… might as well make use of my “free” (aka, I PAID for) heat this month :wink:

sorry… just had to vent… I’m pissed off

Oh, just FYI… stay aways from the place that sounds like RAINTREE ISLAND. Their over priced (shit, 550sq/ft ONE BEDROOM for over 700m/o? F THAT) and this is the kind of BS you apparently have to deal with

Sounds mostly like incompetent management moreso than malevolence. Which is reason enough to leave in and of itself. :tdown:

hahaha raintree island.

i used to live there. bunch of donkey fuckers.

IANAL but they can just retroactively start upping your rent, and start charging you back rent for future charges. You signed a fucking lease.

not that it helps your situation but i have been fucked 5 ways from sunday at every apartment ive ever rented ($200 at the 1st place, $450 at the second.) ive learned my lesson and i will never rent again.

that would need to be spelled out in the lease.

and shitty landlords suck. some of mine have been crazy, but at least professional.

holy fuck man, lemme know if you need anything.

Man that would seriously piss me off

I rented at Ivybrook Crossing in West Nukka for 10 months. I didn’t have a problem. I was allowed one dog up to 30 pounds. They let me have mine even though she was 40 pounds. I’m pretty sure they knew about the second one. Wrote me a letter saying they saw it and I would have to get rid of it. I called them and told them it was just visiting and never heard about it again even though I’m sure they knew better. (Landlord lived across the courtyard.)

So they were decent, enforcing rules with a reasonable amount of discretion. The complex itself was nice, it’s in a nice location, and there’s a decent bar in the plaza in front of it. If you wind up looking for another place to live…

Sounds like they want you out.

ya he needs $100 send it to him

i used to live at Idylwood which is owned by the same people…and the tried pulling all this crap on me when I moved out…but since my mom is in the business i told them whats up and called them out…they caved in and i only eneded up owing 3 dollars and some odd cents

thanks guys… bah, I’ll just be glad to GTFO of raintree. I just hope it’s worth it for them to nickle and dime people like that (not a very good buisness pratice atleast)… I can’t wait until they see the gas bill next month :smiley: I wish I could bottle it up and bring it with me to the next place lol

James, what kind of rent? size of places? shoot me a PM brother :tup:

I’d like to stay in the north towns, but honestly… I have yet to find a place thats “worth it” in this area. I need to find someone renting a house or something. Shit, my last place was HUGE (ask JustinH)… probably like 2000 sq ft, HUGE yard, a garage, full basement, 2 living rooms, 2 bedrooms, full kitchen with a booth, ect. and it was cheep as hell. I miss that place :frowning: I didnt know how good I had it. Not even to mention that my landlord(s) were very good people :tup: I enjoyed staying there

i might be movin out of my apt, it was 400 a month + some utils… in NT

oh werd? I’m deffinitly intrested… PM me the details

thanks man :tup:

yeah jeez man.

I pay 435 here in ws, the place is bigger than my fathers house, and everything is new.

I never see the landlord, she lives like 2 hours away, I just mail the rent check.

Look in the paper and craigslist, anything in the suburbs is real cheap. Anything in elmwood/allentown/downtown is uber expensive and not as nice.

Depending on your income level, you can get HEAP to pay half of your gas bill. I just barely qualify this year, i think they are going to send me like 165 a month for gas.

I lived in Raintree as well. I was never late with rent but I broke my lease after 7 months because my roomate was a drama queen and I was changing colleges. They had no problems and didn’t make me pay anything extra. Whenever I needed something fixed they came right over…maybe you were late on rent more than once or you partied too much etc…it is pretty rare that a landlord/company would try and evict you after ONE late payment :gotme:

http://www.npma.ws/newyork/ivybrooke_crossing.htm

I’ve got nothing but good things to say about the place. :tup: Get a second floor apartment. You get the heat from the guy below you. I never had a heating bill above $80. I left for a week a couple of times in the dead of winter, turned off the heat, and came back with the apartment at like 55*.

:shrug:

Most lawyers rack up $100 in fees in about 20 minutes.

And in my experience, it’s going to cost you more to get rid of the $100 charge than the charge itself. Life sucks, try not to be late again. A verbal from an apt. complex employee is never something to rest your hat on, most times they aren’t even authoritized to do so.

And this is yet another lesson brought to you by Owning > Renting dot com

agreed… I’m looking to buy soon. I can’t wait to own a house