GT2871R vs GT3071R

That doesn’t make sense at all… The GT30 has a more efficient turbine and should be making more horsepower than the GT28. Are you sure you didn’t mix those up?

3071R - http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT30/GT3071R_700382_20.htm

2871R - http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2871R_743347_2.htm

Its not the 3071R, its the 3076R (but with divided housing)

Oh I didn’t read, but even more so then… the 3076 will make much much more power than a 2871. We’re expecting between 550 and 600whp on a customized 3076R.

Isn’t it nearly impossible to make judgement on any turbo without specifying the engine? VE differs from motor to motor.

I thought you said you were using a 3071R?

I’m trying to compare turbo to turbo apples to apples. I’m not asking how much power one will make or what it will spool at. Just simply asking the guys who are familiar with the garrett line up what their experiences have been, what they’re preferences might be and why.

Understandable. I guess I am wondering how you can make comparisons unless it’s against a specific motor but even then, what’s the point of it’s not the same application? I guess there must be some data that you can use (ie some sort of trend) but these threads always seem to have someone talking about a specific application and assuming it will be the same on another.

this is of no value but my 35r on my motor spools up just as fast as a gt2871r does on that d series.

honestly a gt28rs would be a better choice than both of those, that might even be too big. 350+whp is pretty useless during a road race.

Apples to oranges… Even to my motor that’s apples to oranges.

Completely disagree with that second statement… and the GT28RS was good but its most efficient boost levels are lower than what my motor can handle. Toss in the fact that I wanted more top end in 3rd and 4rd and you end up looking to the GT2871R just as I did.

exactly, trends and perceptions of the two turbos from people who have handled them and tuned cars with them. Obviously this thread accomplished nothing other than people throwing in their 2 cents on everything other than the two turbo options.

Sweet

What did your last setup dyno on the GT2871R?

do you mean the GT28RS? it never got a clean dyno due to breakup and the tune was finished on the street. I’d guess around 300hp, but that is mostly shooting from the hip from what the numbers where when it was breaking up on the dyno.

make your setup now run correctly, then judge which route you want to take

Makes sense ^^

For a Track car. K swap it.