GTIR T28 on a CA? Good idea?

Ive been trying to find a s14 or s15 T28 for my CA, as my turbo gasket is going and i figure if im going through all that work to replace it i might as well slap on a bigger turbo. I found a BB GTIR T28 for what seems like a smoking deal through a friend of mine, i dont really know much about this turbo, im trying to do some research but i though i would post up to see peoples opinions about it.

Oh and is it still a direct bolt on like the s14 T28?
What kind of numbers am i looking at with the turbo well supported? (injectors, MAF tuning etc) Any input is appreciated.

you need to clock it. but i know of a couple of people running them and they are still great turbo’s.

good stuff for sure , t28 and BB … so it should be good as alot of people run these as I have heard but dont know what kind of numbers to expect

im running the s14 t28 bb on my ca… great spool up time…definitly worth it over the t25!

yeah I can see it making alot more peak power as well as being as responsive if not better than a t25 due to the BB

hey man, i might be able to lend a bit of insight.

i installed a T28 on my CA silvia last month. INteresting to say the least.

list of parts installed,
Used T28 non bb
“HKS” FMIC and SS pipes(SR20 kit)
SS oil line made in the city
Megan Dump pipe
Gready digital boost controler
JAM sport ECU

Now my thaughts, firstly the swap is not the hardest thing in the world if you have small hands and a extra elbow on your right hand. the bottem mani bolt are just hard to reach and the oil feed line and back coolent lines are not much better. the reason i got the dump pipe is the stock dump pipe does not line up with all the holes on the t28 turbo. clocking the turbo was kinda neat, but be vary carefull if you pull of the intake housing you dont want to hit a fin and dent it.

i replaced every gasket i could and im glad i did, $80 but worth every penny. the old ones were just done after you get them off. the intercooler was for a 180sx and is to tall to fit in the space, so i had to tilt it back about 20 degrees so it would not hit the head lights.

As for the drivabilty of the new turbo, it does spool a bit later but much better air flow once spooled. it pulls hard to 8000, the first day i had it on when my boost controler was hooked up wrong i hit 1.28 hkp which i belive to be around 18ish psi. and it was still pulling but i let off. AS for over all power, big increase over the stock turbo for sure.

i dont belive i am using the turbo to it fullest right now, i need to get some 440cc injectors , a fuel pump and FPR, to get all the power. :finga: i hope to get these parts soon.

sorry for the long post but i hope it helps

dallas

oh ow about a pic or 2
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2093000-2093999/2093198_40_full.jpg
dump pipes

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2093000-2093999/2093198_41.jpg
Turbo on the bench with lines and dump pipe installed

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2093000-2093999/2093198_42.jpg
look at the size differance

any other ones you like?
dal

I think it also it related to the large front mount intercooler and piping as it will make for the late spool

can I have your stock rods after they go out the side of the block ?

lol, yeah you got dips…

think i might have reved the engine maybe once or twice. i really dont make a hbbit of it.

so to correct my last statement i pulls hard to 7000+ RPMS

dallas

i ran my t28 on a stock smic, at 8 psi. it was equal to a stock ca18 running 14psi

funny this is my turbo spooled hard at 2500rmp. and i didn’t have a problem with air flow, my engine leaned out in the end.

chris has my old lines, if you beg him maybe he will hook you up with them

nice thats just what i wanted to hear!!! oh and the pics didnt work but i would love to see them. :lol: