Guinea pigs

Soooooo, the gf is trying to talk me into getting a guinea pig for my new house…im not so fond of the idea, but we all know how this goes.

Who has owned one here and can give me some insight here. I had hermit crabs as a kid and hamsters as well, but i know these guys are different.

Any help would be appreciated as far as breeds, accessories, feed, etc…

Thanks guys.

Such a gay pet, they don’t do anything except eat and shit.

we have 2, used to have 3.

You have to clean their cages or else they smell(b-weekly)
You can get the food in the bulk section at tops or at pet supplies plus
you can get wood chips at walmart in huge bags

theyre kind of cute but i’m not really into them. you can take em out and chill with them but it really provides little to no entertainment.

We have 2 now, when they die, we won’t be getting more.

I would tie a string to then and toss them into the ocean trying to catch sharks.

At least a shark is a real pet.

:lol::lol::lol:

I hate guinea pigs. Just another one of those totally useless pets. Anyone who gets one is bored with it in a week and then it rots away in it’s cage.

+1. Had one, and only one, as a kid. Ended up giving it away actually.

Get a dog or a cat. If those aren’t options get fish. Fish are about the same entertainment value as a guinea pig but with way less maintenance. Plus a nice fish tank actually makes the room nicer, something a smelly domestic rat cage never will.

Had several as a kid, thought they were pretty great. Except for the nearly constant cage cleaning they are good pets. I would say they would be better for kids then adult though. We used to buy bags of spinach for them, and any other random veg we had, except potato skins, I’ve heard they are poision to them. They are fairly entertaining if you let them roam free. But then you have to be prepaired to pick up poo’s.

They smell, they whine and squeal, they piss, they shit.

Horrible pet, this is why people eat them in other countries…cuz they are good for nothing else!

You should get a hedgehog. Or a snake. Or something way cooler than an freakin’ guinea pig.

Haha word ^

get a ferret.

first off, i absolutely hate snakes!!! and a ferret sounds cool, but i would have to look into it. dont they require rather large cages?

if you’re thinking about a ferret, just get a dog. It’s about the same amount of care involved.

don’t do it!

I showed cavy for 4h for years. Sure, they only last like 4 to 5 years, but they smell, you really need to take the time to play with them cause they get bored. They almost always get masses on their rectums, which causes smelly nasty gross things to happen, they smell,
my last one farted constantly.

i read that its normal for them to eat their own shit too…i guess their intestine isn;t as advanced enough to digest all the vitamin c that it needs so they have to eat it again.

Im leaning more towards a dog anyways. I work 50-60 hours a week and would not have time to clean a cage and play with a damn guinea pig every day.

you don’t really “play” with a guinea pig

Hope your girlfriend has a lot of time on her hands to play with and train a dog while you’re at work.

well i also have a roomate who would be here too and his gf so it would kinda of be all of ours, with a guinea pig, i know they would want nothing to do with it.

Sharing a dog is kind of weird though because when you guys move out, who’s going to take the dog? Especially if they’re taking care of it. It’s a 10+ year commitment. I mean it will be “your” dog but… see what I’m saying here? I wouldn’t get a dog unless you were really serious about your living situations.

I know from experience. I have a 1 1/2 year old Rottweiler. And my boyfriend and I just broke up. Granted we still live together and take care of the dog, we can’t live together forever. And there’s no way either of us is going to let the other take the dog. So I wonder how that’s going to work out…

Unless you’re into just giving the dog away, which I’m not.

Edit: Get something that has a shorter life span.