Guitar players inside...

Ok, well after many years of saying I was going to, I’m finally teaching myself how to play. I bought a used Fender Squire and amp for dirt cheap, restrung and tuned it (Electronic tuner), and am working through an online tutorial I found and am doing good; or at least I think I am; I’ve been practicing about 30-45 minutes 4-5 times a week for about the last 3 weeks give or take.

The problem I’m having is my fingers are f’in killing me after the practice sessions from lack of calisous (sp), any suggestions on building these up or just keep playing and they’ll build up eventually?

just keep playing and you will build them up. I have been playing for about 7 years, it just takes time. i dont even know what my fingers would be like without rock hard callouses anymore lol. but just keep at it.

keep playin!

when your fingers are about to bleed…that’s a good sign…lol

lol, i miss playing as much as i did when i was in high school. i have seriously been slacking, so now when i do play i get teh same thing…just keep playing as often as you do and you will be all set.

[quote=“Karu,post:3,topic:26123"”]

keep playin!

when your fingers are about to bleed…that’s a good sign…lol

[/quote]

I’ve had them that close… or at least they sure as hell feel like it.

i havent played in a while… ive actually been playing the piano again, which i played before i did guitar

Just keep playing, it’s like working out for the first time. You’ll be sore for a few weeks, after that you’re good.

Make sure you are positioning your hand and fingers the RIGHT WAY.

[quote=“Rx3,post:7,topic:26123"”]

Just keep playing, it’s like working out for the first time. You’ll be sore for a few weeks, after that you’re good.

Make sure you are positioning your hand and fingers the RIGHT WAY.

[/quote]

I’ve been going through the stuff at cyberfret.com for learning; as for finger positions, the only one I’m struggling with like crazy is the G chord with the using the pinky…

It’s gonna take time. Sometimes your hand just isn’t gonna do what the picture does and you have to adapt the position a little bit.

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:8,topic:26123"”]

I’ve been going through the stuff at cyberfret.com for learning; as for finger positions, the only one I’m struggling with like crazy is the G chord with the using the pinky…

[/quote]

fuck that chord. use a power chord.

[quote=“dirtye30,post:10,topic:26123"”]

fuck that chord. use a power chord.

[/quote]

cheater

Guitar Hero II

/thread

practice practice practice… not speaking from personal experience, but rather from watching my brother progress over the years

[quote=“turbo ls1 ss,post:11,topic:26123"”]

cheater

[/quote]

theres cheating and then theres loopholes. powerchords fall in the loophole category :slight_smile:

lol…im guilty

The finger pain thing-

You do NOT need rough tips to play, if they are hurting, especially on an electric, you gotta change the way you play.

just some tips:

Pretend you’re holding a baseball, that’s how your hand should look , with your thumb in the center of the back of the neck. keep your elbow out, not shoved in to your side. If your wrist strains, push your elbow forward, there shouldnt be much of a bend in your wrist.

This should pretty much account for the reason your fingers are hurting. You’re not literally playing on the “tips”, more so than the pads of your fingers. Put them at a 45 degree angle from the strings, away from your nails.

A site I’ve always liked is www.ultimate-guitar.com

Spend some time with this pratice, helped me ALOT when I first started, give you a good feel on where things are on the guitar. Each time you get to the end, move your hand down one fret, with alternate picking

|------------------------------------------1-2-3-4–5-4-3-2----------------|
|----------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------5-4-3-2--------|
|--------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------5-4-3-2|
|------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------|
|----------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------|
|–1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------|

P.S. Smoke on the water better be the first song you learn :wink:

lol. good ole smoke on the water.

guitartabsuniverse.cc is a great tab site

[quote=“Schema,post:16,topic:26123"”]

The finger pain thing-

You do NOT need rough tips to play, if they are hurting, especially on an electric, you gotta change the way you play.

just some tips:

Pretend you’re holding a baseball, that’s how your hand should look , with your thumb in the center of the back of the neck. keep your elbow out, not shoved in to your side. If your wrist strains, push your elbow forward, there shouldnt be much of a bend in your wrist.

This should pretty much account for the reason your fingers are hurting. You’re not literally playing on the “tips”, more so than the pads of your fingers. Put them at a 45 degree angle from the strings, away from your nails.

A site I’ve always liked is www.ultimate-guitar.com

Spend some time with this pratice, helped me ALOT when I first started, give you a good feel on where things are on the guitar. Each time you get to the end, move your hand down one fret, with alternate picking

P.S. Smoke on the water better be the first song you learn :wink:

[/quote]

Good stuff right there. Adjust and adapt.

Yeah, if your fingers hurt that much, try different positions with your fingers. You might be pushing down way too hard, or something.

I’ve been playing the cello and bass for 9 years and don’t have one single callious. (sp)

[quote=“Schema,post:16,topic:26123"”]

[/quote]

Try bending the shit out of those when you are playing, you’ll build up callouses really really quick

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6"”]

I’ve been practicing about 30-45 minutes 4-5 times a week for about the last 3 weeks give or take.

[/quote]

30-45 min? why just sit there and practice and bore yourself… fucking jam away man… think of the chords make your own shit… 5 hours later… and you have the chords mastered… try playing a song…