gunked plugs, but thats not the problem

ok so i know i have been running rich for a while. and i have def been slacking on getting my car tuned…even though it is much easier said than done, i suck and cant use that as an excuse.

so i cant really figure out if they were just never tq’ed properly (i doubt i undertq’ed them just because it shouldnt take much) or if this is just an example of running wayyy rich and fuel needing to find a way out when not burnt up.

ugh, i dont want to get into the details of why i am not tuned or why i ran so rich for so long, what i need help with is getting the gunk out from the head.

here is what the plugs look like:

now that brown shit is pretty much covering where the plugs seats. i dont want to try and seat new plugs on that gunk. i have some carb cleaner that would break it down but i dont necessarily feel like blasting away and right into the cylinder. i think if i tried to wipe it out (tough cuz the plugs sits about 6" into the head) i would wipe heavier grime and debris into the cylinder.

wwnyspeeddo?

i promise i wont be running rich much longer :slight_smile: new stuff is on the way to solve that problem…as long as i can get past this

Put copper plugs in next time.

That aside, your engine is full of that crap already if it’s all over the plugs. You want the plugs to have a good ground to the head so clean the gunk off before install. You can wet a rag with brake/carb cleaner and get in there carefully and clean it out but a little will inevitably get in the cylinder head.

Change the oil too because it’s probably full of gas.

^^ do that, run seafoam

change oil, change plugs, torque to spec…

call it a day :tup:

[quote=“Inn-Tune,post:2,topic:35265"”]

Put copper plugs in next time.

That aside, your engine is full of that crap already if it’s all over the plugs. You want the plugs to have a good ground to the head so clean the gunk off before install. You can wet a rag with brake/carb cleaner and get in there carefully and clean it out but a little will inevitably get in the cylinder head.

[/quote]

ugh, so the little bit gets in, i am guessing the more i dillute it the less it would tend to stay. should i just spray the ever living god out of it? i was thinking thats bad but i mean, it eventually would evaporate.

i hoped to never try that seafoam stuff. i just dont like the idea. but i agree that that stuff has got to be al in the motor…and people say good things about it

pfft, seafoam is for people that want to spend money

water does the same thing when ran thru the engine … it steamcleans everything realy nice. my fiero used to load up real bad every 2 weeks, 6 litres of water down the throttle body and she ran like a top again. seafoam would hardly make a difference

Yea get as much as you can out with a rag and then spray it down a bit with carb cleaner and get the rest off. I’d crank it a bit with the fuel pump disabled to push the crap out and check your compression while you’re at it.

Whatever’s left in the engine could be more gently cleaned away and kept clean by a water injection kit. Just a thought. You still need to get it running right.

IB4 someone says water does nothing to clean pistons / heads / plugs

oh yea, if u can, bend up a piece of brake line so it could basicly reach the top ting on the pistons thru the spark plug hole, attach to blow gun, and then you can realy douse the threads and blow the shit out as you do it. just debur / tape the end of the line so it doesnt scratch anything … or epoxy a piece of rubber hose to the end

anything that doesnt fly out in the air will migrate up the cylinder walls and run out the plug wells … rinse till the liquid runs clean, make sure you blow out the top ring land all the way around so that theres a minimum chance of anything staying down there

word, thanks for the advice guys. much appreciated