Fuel Guys - Help - Flooded out.

Ok here’s teh deal - as quick as I can make it. I run an aftermarket turbo on my SPEC V as most know. Since moving here I haven’t had a chance to DYNO it and it’s been running excessively RICH. I’ve already fouled one setg of plugs in the last month.

Anyhow, I am trying to get to the DYNO in teh next week or so.

Problem is that the other night - and I’m only guessing that this was the cause - I went out to move the car. I didnt let it warm up and shut it off after only moving it a few feet.

2 days later I go to start it up… it turns over, almost catches, then nothing. I take out the plugs and they stink of gas and are even dripping with it.

Today I put in new plugs and I’m going to turn down my Fuel Pressure but the car actually needs to be runnign to do it correctly. And I can’t get it running. I’ve tried keeping the plugs out for a little while to let teh gas evaporate off the top of the pistons, but the weather hasn’t really cooperateed. It’s just not giving the car a chancce to spark before my fuel pump just dumps in there and soaks the plugs.

So I guess my question here is how can I get this thing fired up? How can I get it dry enough in there to ensure it’ll spark? I know that once it gets goign it’ll be fine unti lI can get the fuel pressure turned down and adjust the SAFCII at the DYNO.

Anyone here have any suggestions? Any help appreciated.

And yeah I know I need to change the oil desperately once it gets going because that’s where all the gas is going now. Not good.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

change the fuel pressure down and hope for the best. if you have a gauge you can turn it back after you get it started. Sounds like you need another set of new plugs.

pull the plugs, dry them with a lighter (nothing will blow up) make sure coil packs are disconnected from harness, hold lots of crap rags over the spark plug holes, crank the engine over while the throttle is to the floor to evacuate the fuel from the cylinders, then after you are sure there is no more fuel being pumped out, reinstall the plugs, then try and start the car with the pedal to the floor to maximize the air entering, and then it should start. make sure to warm it up.

Will fuel still not enter the chamber if I try to start it with the plugs out? I’m running an aftermarket fuel pump which pushes quit a bit a fuel. If I have my foot on the floor it’ll be pounding it in there. Not trying to discount your help, I just want to make sure you know all my variables so I don’t do something stupid on my own. :slight_smile: I admit I’m at a loss here. I know it has to get dry, but getting it dry correctly is where I’m at a loss. Thanks guys.

Isn’t it if there is enough fuel already in the cylinder from being flooded, wouldn’t you pinch the fuel line going in to stop the fuel from entering and then do as ozzmosis said, and floor the car to enter lots of air? I guess the spark plugs could get wet again, so pull the plugs out, cover the holes, pinch fuel, start to evacuate fuel, when dry install plugs, try again with pinched, if not because no fuel unpinch fuel, should start.

Sorry for the one wording :wink:

here is a quick fix, it worked for me, u need 2 people for this…block the feed line of the gas while u turn the car over, once it starts to catch unblock the line and u should be good to go, kindof a ghetto way but it worked with my ca18!

rob

Thanks guys… I’m going to go check my codes here first to see if I might be missing something. Only problem with my fuel lines is that they are all steel braided line right to my rail, so pinching those off won’t be an option, unless there’s some other line you’re talking about that I’m not aware of ( me = noob :slight_smile: ).

I’ll give an update when I know more.

Pull the fuel pump relay, crank it over and get someone to put the relay back on as your cranking.

i flooded mine last summer when the O-ring failed.

• take the plugs out
  • pull the fuse to your fuel pump
  • put a rag over the valve cover
  • have some one hold the rag
  • crank her over and watch out for fuel…!!

i thought i was at the water park when i was cranking it over! lol :lol:

Hey Boost infested… want to come over some day this week and help me get it going? :slight_smile: The wife doesn’t like to get gas on her.

Battery is dead now, so I might as well get it recharged and do an oil change since there more gas in my oil now thatn in my tank. :shock:

Seriously let me know if you want an excuse to get out of the house sometime. :slight_smile:

where in calgary? just pm, when and where.

Sorry… Forgot to add the tidbit about stopping the supply of fuel, either by pinching or pulling the fuse/relay…

Don’t want to jack the thread, but I’m curious if you couldn’t bump start it?

At the very least, wouldn’t motor + tranny turning over open the exhaust valves and let some of the fuel vapor escape? I have no idea if this would help or not, just curious. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, then I need someone to drive it, and someone to push it. I’m not that flexibel by myself yet. :slight_smile: :wink:

I’m gonna recharge the battery tomorrow, redo the plugs, let it dry out good and try it again. A mechanic I know said something about putting a few drops of oil in each cylinder because he said the gas will have ashed away my oil making me lose some compression. He said it was a trick they used to do to help get it going in the garage he worked at years ago. I dunno??

You mean you don’t want the GF trying to bump start it at full throttle down the street? Jebus, no faith in women drivers at all! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did an oil change, and torched the shit out of the plugs and it worked after a few tenuous moments.

I was able to turn down teh fuel pressure a few lbs to get me to a dyno so hopefully that’ll all work out to get it tuned to this mountain height! (coming from the east coast it’s a mountain :slight_smile: )

Anyhow, thanks boost infested for offering to help out, but as I said in my PM I was hoping it woudln’t be necessary and now it’s not, but I appreciate it man. Anytime you need a hand you knwo who to call.

anyhow, that’s that.

I’M GOIN FOR A DRIVE! :slight_smile: