Harbor Freight Hoist - Add Oil?

I have a HF engine hoist that’s a few years old and it stopped working over the weekend. I think it just needs more oil, but I am not sure if I can add more oil to it? Anyone try this?

does it move at all… if it needed oil it would only go up like 50%

It slowly stopped working as we were using it. At this point, there is no longer resistance on the pump handle, and it doesn’t go up at all anymore.

so it went up some but then just took a shit… you can try the oil … when I run into a problem that I need to add oil when i move the handle it will move somewhat then come back to where it was when started

Jim, also try to loosen the pressure relief valve and pump the shit out of it. Tighten valve and see if you get any action. I dunno the specifics of that hydrolic system, but in many jacks that will help purge air from the system.

i have the same problem!
well kinda…mine will raise nicely,but only to about 80%,then it will slowly sink…

Is it leaking anything down the cylinder? Any audible hissing? Shaft still clean and corrosion free?

Dont they just use a bottle jack? Go buy a new one

We ended up bleeding it using the procedure written on the side of the ram. Must have gotten a ton of air bubbles out because it took a bunch of fluid to get it up to the fill hole. Works much better now :tup:

There was a procedure on it???

yes :smiley: I think it was raise it all the way, lower it all the way, raise it all the way again, top off the fluid, and lower it all the way. Something like that.