Hardwire a Sirius?

So, im about to hardwire my Sirius. I plan on getting a fuse tap thing from autozone and tapping right into something that is only on when the car is on…

I would like to just the hot line to the sirius hot line and ground the other but here is my issue:

the cigarette lighter says

9-16v in
2v,1.5a out

which leads me to believe that I need to pull apart the cig lighter and get to the circuit board and run a line from there to the fuse box.

my question -

do i need to worry about the 2v output on the cig lighter? I really dont want to blow this shizzel up

:slight_smile:

multimeter the plug? and then the cigarette lighter input… compare readings.?

assuming that the sirius unit has a male/female jack on it (not hardwired to the unit)

if they arent the same the cig lighter may have a voltage regulator on it, if so, then u would need to compensate SOME how to over come this. without frying the unit

[quote=“Willybeen,post:2,topic:39167"”]

multimeter the plug? and then the cigarette lighter input… compare readings.?

assuming that the sirius unit has a male/female jack on it (not hardwired to the unit)

[/quote]

im in buffalo now and im leaving for home tomorrow - no tools… i wanted to do a quick wire job before leaving…

id just get a female 12v socket with a wire lead off of it. some of those splitters have these that you can cut it off and solder longer wires to it to connect to the tap. then ziptie the sirius plug into the socket solidly and tuck it up under the dash. then if you want to take it out later then you are all set.

Brian

oh yeah, no tools… you can use butt connectors too but I am not too fond of them.

Brian

Dam, those things run on 2v?

if so, there is NO WAY it will run off the 14.8+v your car runs at. Your best bet is it crack the adaptor open and just crimp onto the wires going to the regulator in the cig plug. There should be short wires for the + center and the - on the side contact inside the thing. Just crimp on to those, run it to a switched out in the fusebox and route the wire. Shouldnt take very long.

or you can just buy a hardwire kit for them…

Buy a socket at radio shack - hard wire the socket into the car, and then you can just plug the cig adapter into the socket.

Or

Solder off the center pin of you cig adapter and run it to your switched power source, go quick though because the plastic WILL melt if you heat it too long. Ground wherever theres a clean ground.

[quote=“Locutus”"]

which leads me to believe that I need to pull apart the cig lighter and get to the circuit board and run a line from there to the fuse box.

[/quote]

this is correct

if its a new sirius then its 5 volts and buy a socket like every one else said you will be done in 10 mins