has anyone ever had an accident in Canada?

while travelling through canada, on my way to detroit with a old motorcycle in tow on a trailer, I had to come to a panic stop from 65 MPH. I managed to avoid hitting anyone in front of me, but I was rear ended pretty hard and it demolished my trailer, did damage to the bike, ripped off the rear bumper and hitch, busted the taillights, and bashed up my tailgate pretty good.

it was entirely the other guys fault, and it says so on the police report.

the PO said I need to contact my insurance Co and they will pay, and then in turn will collect from the ins co of the person at fault.

the thing is, I’d really rather keep my ins company out of it, as I have a damn near perfect driving record, and just got my insurance to 175$ per car for 6 mos (i’m 36) I insure with geico. I’m sure if they had to pay out, it would raise my premiums.

the car is a 96 VW Passat TDi wagon.
the trailer was a custom made 3 spot motorcycle trailer
the bike was a 1970 honda CB 350

the trailer had to be flatbedded to a storage place.
the car is driveable, and I stuffed the bike into my wagon, and dropped it off in detroit.
the car is now home.

thank god I had the trailer to take the brunt of the collison…it is still driveable… and there is minimal structural damage.

I called the ins co responsible for the driver who hit me, and they kept saying to contact my ins company.

anyone have clues as to how to proceed?

PM Newman.

If I had to guess, I’d say you should contact your insurance company. It’s what you pay them for. Your premiums shouldn’t go up.

Yeah, I’d contact your insurance. I don’t think your rate can go up for a not at fault accident.

Waiting for Testicle’s response though, since he’s the resident insurance expert.

ask onyx. your insurance company can not legally raise your rates.

Seemingly, you would think that they can’t raise your rates, but I have had friends with similar driving records as mine, with good prices, then got into a “not at fault” accident… when they went to renew, the rates went up substantially… no reason given.

I’m just cautious, because its going to be 3-4k to replace/fix everything and if my insurance company could stay away, and not know, that would be ideal.

after all, it did happen in Canada, so it (hopefully) won’t go on the inter-insurance records.

why would your insurance go up if the other guy is at fault and his insurance company will be paying to repair the damage?