Having some hood trouble

let’s see. I have a 93 civic and I can’t get the hood open. I’ve tried everything. The cable seems to be broke under the hood, and getting to the latch is impossible. Anyone ever have this problem before?

Just take off your front bumper. It should be pretty straight forward from there.

is it possible to get the bumper off without opening the hood? I took the clips out holding it to the fenders and took the bolts out on the bottom. It is still attached at the top, and I can only pry it back enough to get my arm in, but not far enough to reach the mechanism. Am I doing something wrong here. I had this problem with my celica befor, but it was no problem. I could pop off the grill and get right to it

can you see the cable at all?

Yeah, I can see it from underneath when I pry the bumper out , but can’t reach it. But I CAN’T see the end of it where it attaches to the mechanism. I’m getting ready to saws-all it. j/k

if you can get vice grips on the cable, just yank the shit out of it, if that doesnt work, try to jack up the car and just unbolt the hood latch from underneath

I have tried all of this. I can’t phisicaly reach the latch from underneath. It seems like the bumper would have to come off to reach it, but how can I take it off without opening the hood. I’ve talked to some people with years of mechanicle experience and they can’t help. I was hoping I could find another civic owner who has been through this. stupid Hondas. I appreciate the help

this should be simple.

i’m not a big honda guru or anything, but i just did several big jobs on a '93 ex.

i’d remove the splash shield, and use an extra long flathead screwdriver, or narrow prybar to actuate the latch mechanism from underneath. this worked on every car i’ve tried it on so far, and i don’t see it being impossible here.

kinda funny, in that civic i just worked on, the hood cable on his was really stretched, and the latch would get stuck to the side with the hood popped, so you had to push it back with your fingers before it would re-latch.

yeah i know what you’re talking about with the front bumper… those stupid plastic screws on the top.

Dude, if I didn’t know any better, I would think you just worked on my car. It was the same exact way. The problem is the splash gaurd is part of the bumper. I know this should be easy, I’ve tried everything, brought it to several people who have tried a bunch of stuff, tried doing what you said yesterday at my bros with no luck, Wish I still had the celi, it would be too easy

what do you mean the splash guard is part of the bumper, on my si it was just a big piece of rubber that came unscrewed

I need to get this thing open. I’m due for an oil change. has 268km on it, runs like a top, I would hate to destroy it because I can’t maintain my fluids, ya know?

well, the part I need to get behind is an extension of the bumper, maybe about 6" under the car. There is another splash gaurd attached to that, that covers the oil pan ect. But that one starts at the radiator supports, so taking that off doesn’t make any difference because I have to get in front of the radiator supports, which is where the bumper covers. Make sense?

yeah i got you, have you tried taking off the fender splash guard and yanking at the cable from there

no, it’s something to try anyway. Again, I apperciate the help. Kind of getting frustrated 'cause it should be easy. Know anybody with a teal hood? I’ll cut that bitch lol

the splash shield on the '93 i just worked on wasn’t integrated into the bumper. it was just a black plastic part that had a few fasteners holding it on. iirc, you should be able to just remove it and do what i said ealier.

See above. Is there away to get the bumper off without opening the hood?

theres some obvious fasteners holding the cover on. where are you located? i’m about to just do this for you, because i feel bad. i still don’t think you need to take off the cover. just the splash shield.

take a damn plasma cutter to the damn thing and buy a new latch lol

I’m in Schenectady and I have Saranacs in the fridge

taken in to consideration lol