Oh crap! my hood won't open

The problem is with my daily driver BMW 3-series that has been sitting for over 8 months.

The hood release cable is stuck ( won’t open ) and I need another method to release the latch. Does any one have a good suggestion? Please help me :cry:

Sometimes if you pull the hood release with one hand and bang on the hood with the other it works. Or have one person pull the lever and one person pull up and push down on the hood till she gives. It may work :wink:

yesssss…my hood doesnt open either :snky:

Can you reach the mechanism at all from underneath? In fbodies you can, which, is a bad thing except for in these cases

Are you positive it’s the cable, and not the latch itself? The way manufacturers make those cables (hood, e-brake, etc) it is very rare that they fail, at least on the newer cars (post 1995).

if its the cable persay its probably out of adjustment… ive NEVER seen one brake

pound around with ur hand on the hood have someone hold the cable while u pull up. uhh thats about it

ok I’m going to try this tomorrow, thanks

cut the cable if its seized, u should prolly replace it if its failing anyways

not sure how e34 is but e30 has a little latch in the grill, you can trip it with a long thin flathead screwdriver. take a look in the kidney grills with a flashlight

i think you should fix the axel prob on you teg then worrie about your winter whore

hmmmm I know what you are talking about…I’m going to play with it when help arrives home

again Brian, is not the axle is the pos OBX LSD I bought.

Talk to the Honda Bois… thier hood latches are always breaking…

I can’t get it open…damn BMWs:rant:

oh shit man i read this wrong i forgot you had an e30.

if you want to drive down to elmwood & breckenridge i can do it for you in 2 seconds

take a flashlight and a long thin flathead. Look to the right side of the Kidney grill (drivers side) between the kidney and the high beam headlight. if you shine the light, you will see. put the screwdriver in there and rotate it, it will trip it

yeah, my friggin hood release latch is broken, and I have to use pliers to pull the end of the cable to open the damn thing. I cant even find a cable anywhere to replace it, so Im pretty much SOL on this one. Ray Laks wasnts $100 parts/labor to fix it.

Yes I took your advice…it’s like a little hole in between the kidney and driver side high beam headlight. The only problem is I was rotating it with the screwdriver to trip it ( was making a clicking noise ) but now the little thing inside the hole is gone…now is not doing anything.

I will post pics later

rant bump :rant:

the latch and cable are broken and I can’t open the damn hood

NOTE: this is on a BMW 3-series not the Integra

anyone can help me or is there any shop that can help fix the problem?

I have

hmmm, u could always cut the hood off :smiley:

I feel ya though… my hood latch is busted too on my beater grand prix. So I jsut dont bother doing anything under it lol going on 12K miles OVER an oil change… I know, thats a bad thing