HD tvs, Time Warner's channel selection, etc

I’ve been debating getting a new 46-50" hdtv, but with time warner’s hd channel selection I’m not sure if its worth it for me. I currently have a 32" sony vega, and its nice enough for a non-hd tv.

The thing is, I never watch any of the main network channels, espn, or basically any of the other channels they offer in hd, except for discovery hd. Basically I just watch history channel, discovery, national geographic, etc. I know all hd versions of all these channels exist, but as far as I can tell from tw’s website, they aren’t available, at least in the city.

Maybe I’m just missing something and these other HD channels can be paid for separately?

If not, do other providers offer a wider selection?

I dont really watch movies enough for them to be the sole reason for a better tv, nor do I want to watch shitty non-hd broadcasts on a larger screen, so… thoughts?

DirecTV has the best selection of HD channels around. If I were you and I was gonna buy a new HD TV I would be switching to DirecTV along with the purchase.

DirecTV + Verizon DSL might be cheaper than TW Internet + HD channels… I agree with 01AudiS4. The HD DirecTV lineup is pretty good.

just checked out their HD channels, much better selection. how much do they run/mo for all channels (less movie channels) with dvr? any on demand?

plus I would need to convince my landlord to put another dish on her house…

The HD reciever is free with sign up or at least when I did. DirecTV.com has all your answers…

isn’t dtv being sued over their resolution they broadcast for 1080?

something like that. At any rate, if DSL wasn’t flakier than my ex-girlfriend I would probably switch.

Still waiting for FULL FIOS (TV/Internet over fiber) to arrive :roll:

It cost verizon 3k to run FIOS to your door from the pole, it cost time warner about $300 for an aerial drop… How is verizon making their money back on that, time will tell I guess.

i have seen some advertisements for it recently, and the guy that did my install mentioned it may be ready by the end of the year.

oh, and dish is better then direct tv
(some one had to start the retarded argument)

i just called tw yesterday…road runner + full hd pack hd dvr i think every movie channel…$112/month with tax

intro rate… my parents are paying 167 a month for:

2 HD DVR’s
Every Movie channel
RR cable internet

i pay 111 for

QTY 2 HD DVR’s
RR cable
HBO

I’m currently at $135/mo with TW for:

digital cable w/1 HD/DVR box
HBO/HBO on demand
all other non-movie on demand channels
standard RR internet w/modem

my internet is decently fast and never goes down.

I have no complaints with the service except for the occasional pixelating of the picture in large movement scenes, and their lack of HD channels.

are dvrs are more expensive but hd service and channel selection from direct tv is far superior were to be launching 13 more hd channels this month and i think another 20 by january i dont have my hd dvr b i have 6 recievers with 2 standard dvrs and without my discount i pay a little more then you guys

i got set up from TW with the following:

High-Speed Intarweb
Digital Cable with HD/DVR package and all channels in 3 rooms
plus HBO and Cinemax package

$95.55/month, and that includes all taxes, for 2 years

DTV + VWZ couldnt come close to that price for me when i called for it…

Well, you get what you pay for there though. Have fun with you 8 or so Time Warner HD channels.
DirecTV has about 40 HD channels up and running right now. And will have over 100 by the end of the year. DirecTV>*

only HD channel i care about is MSG

ive got more than 8 HD channels with TW fwiw, and im having plenty of fun with it

TW- buy HBO package and get Max for free for a year 13 bucks and some change with tax included…